AFCON 2022

Comments

• Defence are awful
  • 🎶 He's coming home, he's coming home, he's coming. Said's coming home... 🎶
  • Subbed at HT and as stands Algeria have performed like.....a load of rubbish....now 3-0 down and OUT......
    We welcome Said back sooner rather than later....
  • Well he wont play against Man u so guess its the cup
  • edited January 2022
    I bet the Algerian manager is unemployed before Benni's plane touches down in the UK.

One point and one goal scored.
  • Algeria

Won the AFCON in 1990, eliminated in the Group Stage 1992
    Won the AFCON in 2019, eliminated in the Group Stage 2022

Bizarre
  • I wonder what colour Benni's hair will be next match?
  • Algeria out in the group stage. Far earlier than had been expected; they won the last (AFCON 2019).

Benrahma was really not fancied by their manager for whatever reason. He came on for only the last 10 minutes of their first game, didn't play at all in their second, and played just the first 45 before being substituted at half time in their third game.

I like having internationals in our side, and wish them success when playing for their countries (other than when they play England), however Saïd barely playing and returning quickly is undoubtedly good for our side. Back sooner, and relatively fresh.

Hopefully Benrahma not getting much chance at the Afcon will spur him to try doubly hard to do well with us and prove his international manager wrong.

Welcome back Benny!!
  • so a team ranked 132 makes it though and has no keeper due to a negative COVID test but contact with a positive contact. Other keepers injured or positive, told to play with an outfield p[layer in goal!!!
  • so a team ranked 132 makes it though and has no keeper due to a negative COVID test but contact with a positive contact. Other keepers injured or positive, told to play with an outfield p[layer in goal!!!

And they wondered why AFCON got a cool reception.
  • Ivory Coast v Egypt 4pm Wednesday (BBC iplayer/Red Button and Sky) should be fun

They are also playing the hosts and are down to ten men after 7 minutes!
  • did you see people died trying to get into the stadium, 6 dead and children unconscious, game went ahead anyway
  • did you see people died trying to get into the stadium, 6 dead and children unconscious, game went ahead anyway

Its disgusting, but also not surprising. You only need to look at the Euros final to see that it’s a big football problem.
  • edited January 2022
    Ivory Coast 0-0 Egypt, going into extra time and Egypt's keeper had to go off injured

Eric Bailly is wearing a rugby scrum cap after suffering a head injury against Sierra Leone and missing the last Group match against Algeria. He just headed a ball and had to sit down for a bit

And now an Egyptian player has a nose bleed
  • Did he get too close to the oppositions goal?
  • edited January 2022
    Zaha booked for being Zaha and it goes to penalties

Egypt's 2nd choice keeper is Mohamed Abou Gabal aka "Gabaski" (???)

At 2-2 Bailly had his penalty saved
  • What was Bailly thinking?
  • edited January 2022
    Haller not smiling (no change)

Salah makes it 4-5 and Egypt are through to the quarters
  • It feels like a rule that when a player is so clearly MOTM like Bailly they'll end up missing the penalty
  • edited January 2022
    The question that came to my mind was why a central defender who doesn't seem to have taken a penalty in any competition before was 3rd up when they had Zaha and others who had previously taken penalties after him

Add in the head injury and it seems to have been a rather unwise choice
  • And now an Egyptian player has a nose bleed

Did he get too close to the oppositions goal?

No, he looked up to see where West Ham were in the league =)
  • Kouyate scores to help Senegal march on...I've always liked Kouyate, very pleased for him.
  • Penalty 3 mins in to the final
  • Senegal get a nailed on penalty. As blatant as you'll ever see.
  • And it's saved!

• The Egyptian RCB has been fantastic all tournament apart from that penalty he gave away - which really was the most blatant penalty I can remember in a long time
  • I never understand why teams let their best taker go 5th. Egypt missed two of their 4, and Salah didn’t even take one as the game was over before his turn.
  • Chuffed for Senegal though. I love it when you get a new winner of anything