Academy & PL2 2021/22

I thought I'd start a generic young players thread, as we have one most seasons but I can't find one for this year.

Comments

• I decided to post this because I've been looking at our loaned out players and their records this season. As of today (5th November) these are the performance stats for our players (note: format = Starts(Sub), Goals)

Goncalo Cardoso, FC Basel, League= 3(2), Cup = 2, 1
    Joseph Anang, Stevenage, League =12, Cup = 2
    Nathan Trott, AC Nancy Lorraine, League =11
    Nathan Holland, Oxford United, League = 6(7), 2, Cup = 2(2), 1
    Frederik Alves, Sunderland, League = 0(2), Cup = 4
    Mipo Odubeko, Huddersfield Town, League = 0(4)
    Conor Coventry, Peterborough United, League = 3(5)

Of those, I think you can only really call Anang and Trott's loans a success (so far).

This got me thinking about the comments from Daniel Kretinsky about wanting Sparta Prague to be a feeder club to West Ham. Sparta's reserve team play in the second division of Czech football. Players can, as I understand it at least, move freely between the first and reserve team during the season. I wonder if a good future move would be to have an official partnership with Sparta, where we can send our young players who need to play at the next level to Sparta, to play in their reserves in a competitive league, and try to earn a place in their first team.

Looking at the loans of Alves and Odubeko in particular, they are getting almost nothing out of the loans they are on currently. Probably because they are short term, and EFL managers don't want to risk their job to develop a kid that isn't theirs. So, maybe sending them to a reserve team in Czechia that we have an official partnership with (meaning the loan could run to multiple seasons if it suits all parties) would see them more likely to play.

What do you all think?
  • Can Anang and Trott's loans be classed as success? Double figure amount games in poorer quality leagues and yet no goals scored... /s
  • edited November 2021
    On a serious note, glad the two of them are getting games and seemingly showing good form. Still unsure if either will be able to break through at ours, but you never know, and at the very least I hope they have good careers whatever happens. I think one concern of Trott is that at only(!) 6 foot he's relatively small for a keeper these days. But would be lovely to even have an academy keeper come through. Not had that happen for quite a while.

I am a bit disappointed both Coventry and Odubeko haven't got as many games as hoped. Both have looked like having potential when I have seen them in our colours (pre season + u23s). I hope they get more regular opportunities as the season progresses.

I feel Holland is probably playing for a contract at Oxford now. A useful player, but not sure if he's got the star quality needed to break into a prem team pushing up the league.

Probebly the same with Cardoso and Alves - but I have seen very little of them so don't know much of their ability. The fact Alves is not getting many games in League 1 isn't great, but again it's hard even for lower league managers to blood youngsters. I think Cardoso's loan has an option to buy, so suggests he's considered surplus to requirements. Would free up the number 14 shirt too...
  • The U23s beat Liverpool 3-0 this afternoon. Thierry Nevers scored again and U18 England prospect Sonny Perkins got two.

That's Man U and Liverpool U23s beaten with a 9-0 aggregate score. I know it's only PL2 level, but these boys seem to have something about them.
  • I’d love to see one or two of them come through.Proper warms the old cockles to see that.
  • Mark Robson new head coach of under 23’s.