Genk (a) 5:45pm. Thursday 4 November (BT Sport 3)

edited October 2021 in Match Threads
Since we last played Genk they've lost to 3-0 at home to Gent, won 6-0 away against third tier Winkel Sport in the Belgian Cup and won 6-2 away at SV Zulte Waregem.

The K in KRC means Royal, the RC means Racing Club as in cycling

That is the extent of my interesting things I can find about Genk

Let's face it, we're going to stuff them out of sight and the most interesting thing we're going to see is that Smurf strangling Tweetie Pie (big Limburg rival is Sint-Truidense whose nickname is the Canaries)

Comments

• The Smurf Tweetie Pie thing now makes sense, even though it does look very frightening under the influence of psychedelics.
  • I'm a great admirer of Winkel sport
  • After the euphoria of recent weeks, I'd take a draw, to bring us down to earth again. All this winning has used up all my adrenaline 😉
  • But I like being in the clouds.....
  • So, presumably a bit of squad rotation.

Areola; Coufal Dawson Diop Masuaku (if fit); Rice Noble; Yarmolenko Vlasic Lanzini; Bowen

I say Rice because Soucek played in the City game so it’s his turn for a rest. I say Bowen but it could be Antonio instead.
  • Dodger58 said:

Kral?

Is he back? Maybe him in if he is
  • I think keep one of Rice and Soucek in. Don't want to risk not winning this game and potentially having more pressure on the other two when the schedule is much busier.
  • alderz said:

So, presumably a bit of squad rotation.

Areola; Coufal Dawson Diop Masuaku (if fit); Rice Noble; Yarmolenko Vlasic Lanzini; Bowen

I say Rice because Soucek played in the City game so it’s his turn for a rest. I say Bowen but it could be Antonio instead.

I would go with this, have Antonio on the bench if needed.

Three points means we would need only 1pt from final two matches to guarantee top spot so we do need go for it.
  • Areola
    Coufal - Dawson - Diop - Cresswell
    Rice - Noble
    Vlasic - Lanzini - Fornals
    Bowen

Let’s not go too weak. An away game in Europe is always tough.
  • Genk caused us the most problems out of the three sides, I think, even though we had the biggest win against them.

Ideally we put out a strongish side, win and relax a bit for the last two.
  • Cress surely must get a game off?! He's played the last 8/9 games I think. Not a fan of Masu at LB, but would do it on this occasion as hopefully we have enough to trouble Genk that it's not an issue. If fit play Fredericks also on that side so it's more defensively covered.

So personally, I would go "2nd" 11 as much as possible, we are well ahead in the group, we've proven we can beat Genk, and we have a tough game against Liverpool at the weekend. Big boys on the bench though, if we need to turn it around.

Coufal back in though as he resumes recovery. Kral if fit/recovered in, else start Rice and sub him on after an hour or so (hopefully with us already a few goals to the good).

Areola
    Coufal - Dawson - Diop - Masuaku
    Kral - Noble
    Vlasic - Lanzini - Fredericks
    Yarmolenko
  • Could always play Johnson at LB.
  • Should rest both full backs if we can, they’re going to need as much energy as possible v Salah and Mane.
  • I don't think lack of energy exists within this squad.
  • A run out for Coufal to get him back up to speed
  • This will be Moyes' 1000th game as a manager.
  • Strong team then. 😂
  • edited November 2021
    Soucek talking to GOL.CZ via Google Translate
    Cuf (Vladimír Coufal) played the first match after an injury against Tottenham, he ran for the last eight minutes. He seems to be fine
    http://gol.cz/clanky/tomas-soucek-verim-ze-nahore-zustaneme

Cuf?
  • The Smurfs were created by a bloke called Peyo, who is Belgian, which might explain the giant psychedelic Smurf of Genk.
  • I couldn't find any connection between Peyo and Genk. He was born, lived most of his life and died in Brussels

The only Smurf-Genk link is that their home strip is blue.
  • I'm becoming concerned that the pre-match discussion is focussing solely on the Smurfs. Father Abraham could surely have a pivotal role to play in this one.
  • edited November 2021

• Hmm, stronger than I was expecting. Shame Vlasic isn't getting a start in particular.
  • Going for it big time.

COYI
  • Neither Vlasic or Yarmolenko are fit for this one, so we have to risk Antonio and potentially Bowen ahead of Liverpool.

Surprised Oxo-Flex hasn't been included in the squad. Either Antonio has to play the full 90, or he and Bowen have to share CF duties tonight.
  • Strong side, but worry Cresswell may need a rest. I suppose Moyes thinks if we can win this one, we’re almost there. 🤞
    COYI ⚒
  • Antonio .........NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • COME ON YOU IRONS ⚒️⚒️⚒️
  • I was also surprised Cresswell is not given a rest as he's been playing a lot. Hopefully Antonio only plays for an hour and comes off (not injured!)