Next 7 Games

I completely forgot to do the "Next 8" thread from the start of the season. I always liked the idea of judging levels of performance over a period of time, rather than as one off games. Because of the amount of games left, I'm going to do the rest of the season in batches of 7, 7, 7, 7 and 8.

Remember, this IS NOT a prediction game. This is simply saying, from this batch of fixtures, what is the cut off point between good and bad. You could go one further and say what is the cut off between good, decent and bad if you want to, but basically you need to say the number that think is acceptable after this run of games.

So, our next 7 games are:
1. Aston Villa at Villa Park
2. Liverpool at London Stadium
3. Wolves at Molineaux
4. Man City at the Etihad
5. Brighton at London Stadium
6. Chelsea at London Stadium
7. Burnley at Turf Moor

I'll start. I'd be disappointed if we didn't pick up at least 10 points from those games. 11 or above is decent for me. If we manage 14 or more I think that's an excellent return.

Comments

• A few tricky games there but I agree 10-12 obtainable, any more a bonus
  • 10 is acceptable for me. Would be disappointed not to get points from Villa, Wolves, Brighton and Burnley.

Anything against the other three would be an absolute bonus.
  • 9 is the minimum for you. Anything against the big 3 is a bonus and we’re bound to come a cropper against 1 of the other 4. So I would say anything less than 9 would be a disaster (to our aspirations). 9-12 would be good. 13-15 is great. 16 and above would be amazing.
  • Now we are top 4 need to take some points off the top 3 so looking at 13
  • I think 9 points would be alright. Any more than 12 and we should be firmly lodged in that top 4. We are bound to receive a drubbing at some point and Liverpool, City and Chelsea currently are rather scary but tbh I wasn't expecting anything against ManU and we nearly got a point and we did knock them out of the cup and I also didn't expect anything against Spurs.
    It would be so West Ham to get 9 points out of these 7 games but get them against Chelsea, Liverpool and City.
  • We are currently, after 9 games, 3 points ahead of last season. In the following 7 games last year we gained 9 points meaning 23 points from 16 games.
    I'd be disappointed with less than 10.
  • I think matching last years tally would be the way to look at it.
  • This season v last season

Newcastle A W4-2 / L2-3
    Leicester H W4-1 / W3-2
    Palace H D2-2 / D1-1
    Saints A D0-0 / D0-0
    Man U H L1-2 / L1-3
    Leeds A W2-1 / W2-1
    Brentford H L1-2 / Fulham H W1-0
    Everton A W1-0 / W1-0
    Spurs H W1-0 / W2-1

Both 17pts. The only difference is we beat Newcastle this season and lost to the team that got promoted through the play off
  • 9 minimum, 10 decent, 13 excellent
  • While we're at it

Last season

Aston Villa A W3-1
    Liverpool H L1-3
    Wolves A W3-2
    Man City A L1-2
    Brighton H D2-2
    Chelsea H L0-1
    Burnley A W2-1

10pts, GD 0
  • ASLEF that first set of stats is fascinating, let's hope we can improve on the second set. COYI
  • 10-12 for me, anything above would be amazing and anything below slightly disappointing
  • edited October 2021
    Difficult set of games. I think we could end up as low as 6, but would be happy (and think we’ll get) 10.
  • 10-12 would be ok, but as long as they all give 100% in each game I'll be happy what ever they get.
  • ASLEF that first set of stats is fascinating, let's hope we can improve on the second set. COYI

We have improved a bit

Last season GF 13 GA 11
    This season GF 16 GA 10

Hopefully we've improved enough to pick up a point against Chelsea or City,

Or finally beat Brighton!!!
  • edited October 2021
    10. Below that I'd be disappointed/annoyed. But having said that, it might just be one thing that went wrong in one match, like the lino not seeing a ball go out of play. So I wouldn't be all doom and gloom.

But I'd like to beat 2 of the lower teams away.

And good as we are now, I'd still be overchuffed to get anything out of the big 3.
  • I think whatever we achieve, we all can see that the team is organized, the morale is higher than its ever been in the Premiership era and the players try for each other whether it comes off or not

How many Man Utd fans will be saying this :-D
  • We're coming into November with no big injuries. If we survive with Antonio still fit, 10 points will be ok but 12 wouldn't surprise me. If not....
  • I’m going to the the City and Burnley games so there’s six points straight away.

You’re welcome.
  • Having started the "7" so very well I am hoping for at least 12 even 14 points if we are lucky.
  • Yeah, having said I'd be happy with 11, to now need 5 points from the next 5 games... I feel like I would be disappointed with only 11 suddenly
  • Didn’t realise until yesterday that was our only home game in November.
  • 15 points (on an optimistic Monday morning)
  • ONE HUNDRED POINTS

(I’ve had a few drinks and I’ve watched the goals again)
  • I normally chime in with 21 but did no this time so we have 6 already :)
  • edited December 2021
    Having started the "7" so very well I am hoping for at least 12 even 14 points if we are lucky.

My comment from November 8! It's the hope that does for you.
  • MrsGrey said:

10. Below that I'd be disappointed/annoyed. ...

But I'd like to beat 2 of the lower teams away.

And good as we are now, I'd still be overchuffed to get anything out of the big 3.

The treble is still on!
  • So, 11. I said I'd be ok with 10.
  • Ten is :p Sorry we should have got more points the way we started the 7 games.
  • Lukerz said:

I think matching last years tally would be the way to look at it.

We beat last years tally by 1, 10 last year compared to 11 this.

Happy with that.