Transfer Deadline Day: The Yellow Tie Derby (Rav wore it best)

1234568»

Comments

• edited September 2021
    According to SSN it was “momentous” - how could you miss it? Don’t worry, they will be talking about it for a while yet?😀⚒
  • Wonder if Ronaldo will debut in our home game against that lot.
  • edited September 2021
    This is what the BBC had to say about West ham.
    "It took a while for things to get going at West Ham but manager David Moyes will be happy that he can build on his outstanding work, which took them to a sixth-place finish last season.

Moyes has brought in defender Kurt Zouma from Chelsea, the talented attacker Nikola Vlasic from CSKA Moscow and added another to his Czech contingent with a loan deal for international midfield man Alex Kral from Spartak Moscow.

West Ham's manager deserved strong backing after doing so much for the club - and he got it in the latter days of this window."
    So We did get a small bit.
  • Wonder if Ronaldo will debut in our home game against that lot.

Ronaldo? Is he back? Funny, sky never mentioned it!
  • international midfield man Alex Kral

This is very funny to me. “International midfield man”
  • I think it should read "Czech international midfield man"
  • None of the sports websites seem to mention us as having a good transfer window. Flying under the radar again :-) Apparantely Man U signed someone called Ronaldo in case you missed it

who dat

• I am interested to see how Ronaldo gets on. undoubtedly fans will remember his previous time at the club, but he is 36 so his pace must have diminished and the premiership is very different to Seria A in Italy. His presence could easily unsettle a team which is still being built.

I think it's a big gamble for OGS and will change the dynamic in the dressing room, they were team mates and now one is the boss, can Ronaldo get the optics of that relationship right regard the rest of the squad? is he just another member of the team or will he be Ronaldo? What will Pogba and Bruno make of that?
  • He’s done it everywhere, and he’s very different to the player that left the PL. He’s a proper poacher now, and I’d be amazed if he didn’t get to at least 15 league goals, probably 20
  • There have been, recently, several teams who have done well without a striker scoring several goals. Man City have recently employed the false 9 (Aguero got less game time & Jesus was in & out), Firmino didn’t score many goals as the main man for Liverpool (with Salah & Mane sharing the goals, Jota also plays as a false 9), Chelsea did well last season without many goals from their main strikers, Man Utd alternated between Martial & Cavani. Several bigger clubs have found alternatives to a main, 20 goal a season striker.

No point having 3 strikers if none of them can score.
  • Don’t think Ronaldo will worry about teammates - the press would have you believe he’s a one man team! He just needs to be careful when he’s doing that walking on water thing.
  • ScotHammer is that because they get so much rain in Manchester
  • Like how the club have tried to identify players either in their prime or coming towards it

Zouma is only 26 but seems to be around forever, Areola is young for a keeper, Kral and Vlasic are 23

There have been some worries that our average age is too high but replacing Balbuena (30) and Lingard (28) with Zouma (26) Areola (28) Vlasic (23) and Kral (23) has gone some way to reduce it (not including Ekwah, Oxo-Flex and Nevers for the future)

The core of our squad now you'd say are in their 20s and now have a good mix of youth and experience

GK: Areola (28), Fab (36), Randolph (34)
    FB: Coufal (29), Cresswell (31), Fredericks (28), Masuaku (27) Johnson (21)
    CB: Ogbonna (33), Zouma (26), Dawson (31) Diop (24)
    CM: Rice (22) Soucek (26) Noble (34) Kral (23)
    AM: Bowen (24), Fornals (25), Benrahma (26), Vlasic (23), Lanzini (28)
    CF: Antonio (31), Yarmolenko (31)

Antonio, Ogbonna and Cresswell are now the only players in our best XI that are into their 30s, not a bad position

Hopefully Oduenko and Coveetry can take the championship by storm and join the squad next year
  • You can see its the CF section that looks vulnerable, why didn't someone on here suggest bringing someone in during the window.
  • edited September 2021
    I thought that we were in for the Spanish striker ......................... Juan Upfront =)

coat please

p.s. Juan Upfront has now been copyright so that Alderz doesn't plagiarise it.
  • Daniel Sturridge is available? Ok I'll get my coat. =)
  • Tevez is available too.
  • Tevez ,Yes please The hero returns
  • I also didn't know Antonio was 31! for some reason I had in my head around 28, he moves quickly for an old un.
  • Tevez will be 38 in February but Sheringham turned 40 during his last season with us and played another season with Colchester afterwards

Cristiano Ronaldo will be 37 next year (shares the same birthday as Tevez and Neymar, 5th February) and he's still quite nippy on his toes
  • Having Tevez come and score against them while Ronaldo mopes would be fun
  • I think Newcastle's response to the transfer window cost more than they spent :)
  • Vlasic to wear No11 and Kral No33.

I thought they might have held the 11 back if a January move for Lingard materialised, but hey ho.
  • In case we get desperate for that Antonio cover...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58478778
  • Reported that Lingard has rejected a new contract because of his expected lack of playing time. Quel surprise!,
    Also reported that Zouma’s £125K per week has not gone down well with the squad. I doubt very much he is on anywhere near that and it’s just lazy journalism as usual.
  • A postscript. Moyes says that all our discussion of signing Lingard was a waste of keystrokes.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58603595
  • So some might question why we took so long to make some of our signings if we had no intention of getting Lingard?