Areola Signs

How do you do this? I don’t remember how it works

Comments

• Great signing. Well done Moyes / GSB. Le's hope there is more of this quality to follow
  • It's a late start but a great one imo

Fab is 36, far from shot but he's slipped in my eyes and needs a reliable replacement

Areola is the right profile/calibre of player we should be targeting

Very happy with this expect great things

Wonder how much the option to buy is?
  • Yep, pleased with this. Looked very good at Fulham last season and at 6'5" should dominate the box.

We have a lot of French speaking players at the club already so hopefully he'll settle quickly.
  • WHU - I saw 11M on one site but dont know if it is accurate
  • We have a lot of French speaking players at the club already so hopefully he'll settle quickly.

Scratch that, just seen his interview and he speaks better English than Nobes.
  • Very happy with this, and especially as he was up against a Salthouse client. Maybe we're finally turning a corner wrt Sully's influence on choosing new players.
  • Also happy with this ,And with just a loan with option to buy win win
  • We have a lot of French speaking players at the club already so hopefully he'll settle quickly.

Scratch that, just seen his interview and he speaks better English than Nobes.
    Yeah, but can he do rhyming slang =) ?
  • Also, you know. ..
    "Alphonse"
  • Could we turn him into a striker =)
  • MrsGrey said:

Also, you know. ..
    "Alphonse"

Yes, I know that one, and not very flattering is it?
  • I was just remarking because I think it's a good name.
  • Areola borealis?
  • MrsGrey said:

I was just remarking because I think it's a good name.

I thought you were referring to its rhyming slang meaning =)
  • The only other Alphonse I have heard of was Capone :o
  • But can he speak French as well as Joey Barton
  • Whenever our new signing Areola is mentioned I think of Carlton in the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air -was he not Alfonso in real life?
    Must be Freudian or something! 🤪
  • On the minus side he conceded 48 goals in 36 games last season

On the plus side he was with Fulham and he managed to keep 9 clean sheets, one of which was against us

Wait and see mode
  • I'm usually the first to knock Sullivan when the opportunity arises, but if the numbers are correct then he deserves some credit for this deal. We get 12 months to have a really good look at Areola for £1.7m, and then if he does well we can make it permanent for £11m.

So less than £13m for a player who, by then, will have had two season's worth of PL experience, has been involved with perennial winners PSG and Real Madrid, been part of the national squad and is still a couple of years away from his peak.

In many respects it's the perfect deal. I've never really been a fan of loans, but when an option is worked in it can work brilliantly. We dodged a bullet with Zaza that saved us millions, and if Areola works out I think we could have ourselves a bargain. Plus it frees up more cash for Moyes this summer to spend elsewhere.

So as much as it pains me to say it; well done Sullivan.
  • This is why it’s not about how quickly you sign players, but who you sign.

Many on social media would have been happy splashing £20m on Johnstone 4 weeks ago. It’s about taking your time, getting a good deal & the right player.
  • I don't mind them taking their time, I just wish they would hurry up about it.
  • edited July 2021
    Reported that there is an obligation to buy based on appearances. An option to buy should he not reach that.
  • Good deal for us and he strengthens the position.