Newcastle v West Ham Saturday April 17 @ 12:30 (on SKY )

Comments

• edited April 2021
    We have to approach it as must-win, based on the fact that if we were to take 21 points out of 21 we will finish in the Champions League. I think we all accept that 2-3 poor results between now & the end are going to see the end of our challenge. I still believe if we can take 6 points from the next four games, leaving the final 3, we could well do it. On that basis it allows us to lose to Chelsea, but we would need to beat two of Newcastle, Burnley, Everton.

I really do think, with potentially Antonio & Rice to return for the final 3, we could take maximum points from those final fixtures if none of those sides have anything to play for.
  • I wonder if Nobes is still our designated penalty taker?
  • MrsGrey said:

I wonder if Nobes is still our designated penalty taker?

Of course he is!
  • Hoping Everton and Spurs both today.
  • Win this & we’ll be 8 points clear of 7th
  • I was cursing, I got given a shift that starts at 1:23pm at Leytonstone so I wouldn't even see the first half

Then I found out there is engineering works, I don't get on a train until 3:17pm at Liverpool Street and they've given me almost 2 hours "travelling time" for a journey that will take me less than 45 minutes

It's an omen, we will win!
  • I know we weren't great in the home game , but we did hit the bar twice and have a strong penalty shout for handball on the line. Things have been going our way more recently and hopefully that will continue today.
  • edited April 2021
    The good news is that if he decides to start both ASM & Wilson, they will both need to be replaced after 60 minutes, significantly weakening the side. I think we’ll see one of them start & the other on the bench. Bruce will also look at our last 3 games, & how we have been a first half side, & use ASM as an impact sub second half. I expect Wilson will start & ASM will be on the bench.
  • Nothing to comment. Just testing out my new profile pic.
  • Ex says it’s not an unchanged side...
  • This could be a game for Benrahma as they will sit deeper than our recent opponents.
  • edited April 2021
    Oggy looks like he’s back in

Fabianski
    Dawson - Ogbonna - Diop
    Coufal - Souček - Noble - Masuaku
    Fornals
    Bowen - Lingard

Is looking the likely side.
  • Oggy back in the squad.
  • Rumours that Masuaku is out of this one
  • Ex says two changes
  • Rumours that Masuaku is out of this one

Would be a blow with neither Cresswell or Masuaku
  • Ogbonna & Johnson in for Cresswell & Masuaku
  • That makes us stronger.
  • Hmmm, I can see why Moyes has done this, but, given Newcastle could be tough to break down, I don't feel Johnson offers enough going forward from LWB. It's nothing against him as a player, it's his wrong side and he struggles to have much impact offensively from there imo.
  • 1Fabianski
    23Diop
    15Dawson
    21Ogbonna
    5Coufal
    16Noble
    28Soucek
    31Johnson
    18Fornals
    20Bowen
    11Lingard
    Substitutes
    4Balbuena
    7Yarmolenko
    9Benrahma
    10Lanzini
    14Alves
    24Fredericks
    25Martin
    34Trott
    54Coventry
  • Hmmm, I can see why Moyes has done this, but, given Newcastle could be tough to break down, I don't feel Johnson offers enough going forward from LWB. It's nothing against him as a player, it's his wrong side and he struggles to have much impact offensively from there imo.

Yeah a bolder call would have been a back four with Johnson at LB, Ogbonna & Dawson in the middle & then Benrahma as a more attacking option.
  • edited April 2021
    Masuaku not in the squad so assuming he's injured/covid-ed

Moyes did refer to some unspecified 'bumps and bruises' so hopefully it's just a knock for Arthur.
  • MrsGrey said:

Masuaku not in the squad so assuming he's injured/covid-ed

Fluid on the knee he had surgery on
  • edited April 2021
    Johnson needs to put a performance in, he has looked very shaky last few times he has played.
  • ASM starts in place of Dwight Gayle otherwise the same side that lost to Burnley

Callum Wilson and Andy Carroll on the bench
  • Didn't they beat Burnley?
  • Lukerz said:

Hmmm, I can see why Moyes has done this, but, given Newcastle could be tough to break down, I don't feel Johnson offers enough going forward from LWB. It's nothing against him as a player, it's his wrong side and he struggles to have much impact offensively from there imo.

Yeah a bolder call would have been a back four with Johnson at LB, Ogbonna & Dawson in the middle & then Benrahma as a more attacking option.
    More sensible as well, I think. Johnson looks so much more comfortable in a back 4 in my opinion. I think he might end up having to change this one at half time but let's see.
  • This is the team

West Ham United: Fabianski, Coufal, Diop, Dawson, Ogbonna, Johnson, Noble (c), Soucek, Fornals, Lingard, Bowen
    Subs: Trott (GK), Martin (GK), Alves, Balbuena, Fredericks, Coventry, Lanzini, Yarmolenko, Benrahma

It is a defensive team which might pinch a goal on the break or from a set piece. The Loss of Cresswell and Masuaka blunts attacking possibilities of the left. Johnson rarely crosses the ball with his left foot and match Masuaku's dribbling skills. I guess if we go behind, Moyes will need to change the formation.
  • ASM starts in place of Dwight Gayle otherwise the same side that lost to Burnley

Callum Wilson and Andy Carroll on the bench

:o
  • I’m struggling to see how that side breaks down a side that’s going to put men behind the ball. I don’t like 3 CB’s in a back 3 & Johnson doesn’t work as a LWB.

Anyway, hopefully a solid 0-1.