Hammer of the Year

2»

Comments

• Was at West Ham. The most ineffective Captain I've seen.
  • I don’t think getting England caps is the best measure of how good a player is/was.

There’s been some dross play plenty of times for England over the last 20 years.
  • Does anyone say rice is not worthy of No 6 shirt,
  • edited July 2020
    He’s worthy but it doesn’t exist.
  • edited July 2020
    The no 6 shirt was retired as a tribute to Bobby Moore, if they brought it back some people might regard that as disrespecting his memory.

S&G got some stick in 2010 when they renamed the Bobby Moore Cup the SBOBET Cup (now the Betway Cup), I imagine they'd get a lot more if they brought the no.6 shirt out of retirement

I imagine Rice might be a little uncomfortable with it too
  • Just no need to allocate the no.6 to anyone imo, it was retired as a tribute to Bobby Moore, and, as good a season as Rice has had, there's no reason whatsoever to bring the shirt out of retirement (all imo of course).
  • Sort of agree
    The only English West Ham shirt No To lift a World Cup,
  • What if rice lifts the World Cup wears No 6 shirt
  • Let Declan retire the #41 in 15 years time, and leave it at that.

If he was to change, he’s a 4 anyway.
  • imagelost said:

What if rice lifts the World Cup wears No 6 shirt

He could, England haven't retired any shirt numbers, Maguire was wearing the no. 6 last time out against Montenegro although he wore no. 5 against Kosovo and Mings wore no. 6.
  • imagelost said:

What if rice lifts the World Cup wears No 6 shirt

He could, England haven't retired any shirt numbers, Maguire was wearing the no. 6 last time out against Montenegro although he wore no. 5 against Kosovo and Mings wore no. 6.
    I know that

I have England shirt “1966” style No 6 on the back
    With West Ham badge
    World Cup winners 1966
  • alderz said:

Let Declan retire the #41 in 15 years time, and leave it at that.

If he was to change, he’s a 4 anyway.

I'd be much happier if Rice took the No4 shirt. He is the Basmati Billy Bonds, after all.
    I know he may want to make No41 part of his brand, but I do wish he'd consider my opinion when making his decisions.
  • edited July 2020
    After long thought, I went for Antonio.

The hardest thing against voting for him was he has only made 23 appearances compared to Og’s 30 & Rice’s 37/37. I was very close to going for Rice, given his age, ever present status & recent form, but I felt he wasn’t anything special under Pellegrini this season.

Ogbonna was hard to vote for because, although he has been excellent & his return has coincided with our recent points haul, I felt overall our defence had underperformed all season & he is still part of that back four.

I was focusing mainly on impact in games, & I felt Antonio had a higher % of impact for the games he played.

So I went with Antonio, as I felt, basically, his goals have single handedly kept us up. I also remember earlier in the season that a lot of our shocking games were when Roberto was in goal & Antonio was injured (he missed the shocking games against Everton, Palace, Burnley, Newcastle), with the only glimmers of light (winning away at Chelsea, the semi comeback at home to Spurs, the win at Southampton) all inspired by MOTM displays by Antonio. Some of his performances in the run-in have been superb (home to Chelsea, away at Norwich).

So although only 23 games, 10 goals (plus one game to go) & being the shining light in the first half of the season, plus his overall improvement, playing out of position & banging in 8 goals since the restart, I went for him.
  • Lukerz, I was going for Rice but your argument for Antonio has persuaded me. MA for HOTM.
  • I voted Oggy Oggy Oggy......
  • On Instagram earlier they announced that Rice won
  • Declan, very well deserved. 👏🏻 As would Antonio or Ogbonna have been. Funny old season, but it’s over now. I wonder what next year will bring.
  • Very well deserved. Unfortunately I think the last we'll see of him.