Chelsea v West Ham United - Pellegrini's last stand?

Comments

• How about playing Fornals next to Rice. Defensively he seems ok and can pass the ball about.
  • I still believe Fornals will come good. He was considered an incredible talent in Spain before he arrived, regularly likened to Iniesta.

He just needs time. Probably an entire season just to understand the pace.

I also thought Anderson looked better more central.
  • I also felt Lampard got his team wrong as leaving Kante and Willian as subs took us too lightly. He should in my view have come at us hard straight away as an early goal would have shattered us and they could likely have had a casual stroll for the rest of the afternoon. We snatched one and defended it heroically but he will feel he lost the points today I feel rather than our winning them. A bit like when we played Palace.
  • I also felt Lampard got his team wrong as leaving Kante and Willian as subs took us too lightly. He should in my view have come at us hard straight away as an early goal would have shattered us and they could likely have had a casual stroll for the rest of the afternoon. We snatched one and defended it heroically but he will feel he lost the points today I feel rather than our winning them. A bit like when we played Palace.

Or felt sorry for us lol
  • Pellegrini was actually animated - has somebody changed his pills?
    Antonio was worth two of Haller, he was jumping on the end of most long balls from the keeper and winning a good few. (Maybe Martin was kicking better?) There was a definite all for one attitude throughout the whole team. We seem to do better against the top sides because we tend to be playing on the break. on the fouls stat - I think it was 16 fouls by us to none from them which even if you allow for the ref means we were at it much more than them. :wahoo:
  • PS. :ok: the cycling stream was excellent for me - cheers Grey
  • Pellegrini was actually animated - has somebody changed his pills?

I did notice this also, I have never seen it before from him, about bloomin time.
    Still not convinced he's the right fit for us ( Pelle ) & not sure he will last the season, but fair play for getting things right yesterday ( should have played Martin a few games back though, IMO )
  • Yep why it's taken him so long to switch goalies and formation is a concern for me.
  • Just read this on the BBC comments:

134. Posted byThe Changingmanon
    30 Nov 2019 22:50
    Well done to West Ham - today was your day, but I thought signing songs about Frank Lampards late mum was a bit sick.

If that is true, that is absolutely despicable.
  • I was wrong (this fact amazes me.) i Thought Rice would be in the back 4. Some brave selections: Balbena had been atrocious, Martin untested, Antonio a gamble, Fornals unimpressive.... but it all went rather well, didn't it?? Beating Chelsea away doesn't get much better :clap: :star:
  • Just read this on the BBC comments:

Well done to West Ham - today was your day, but I thought signing songs about Frank Lampards late mum was a bit sick.

Every club has a percentage of moronic people supporting it. However, it makes me feel sick to the stomach when its not just the subject matter concerned but the fact that Frank Jr and Frank Snr (over a much longer period obviously) are from our club! Some may not like Frank but hes done precious little to deserve any negativity let alone songs of that disgusting nature! I can't get my head around it!
  • edited December 2019

Just read this on the BBC comments:

To tell you the truth I didn't hear this at all. Plenty of singing going on, and not all complimentary, but nothing like this.
  • edited December 2019
    Just because someone has said it, it doesn't make it true (not aimed at you bubbles). Equally as sick to make this sort of stuff up just to dampen a win.
  • Decided to keep myself busy for the duration of the game but, in my wisdom, decided to check the score just after HT to give me longer to get over the loss. Seeing we were winning completely ruined my plan, as I spent the next 45 mins pacing around.

Cheers West Ham.

Great 3 points & what a difference changing one position can make to the back four.
  • Bit harsh on Diop there Lukerz. ;)
  • So Cresswell has more league goals than Zaha this season
  • edited December 2019

Just read this on the BBC comments:

I didn't hear anything of this sort. Obviously it could have happened isolated but, I would suggest a very small minority if it happened.
  • It was a change forced on us and if Abrahams had been available I think we might have tried Rice at CB to deal with his pace, Balbuena would never have been able to keep up.

Instead Balbuena and Oggy were better suited to cope with Giroud.
  • edited December 2019
    I think the big change was playing Snodgrass and Fornals as the wide players instead of Anderson and Yarmolenko. Both more defensive-minded players and it worked so well, as did Anderson in the middle who tracked back quite a bit and was occasionally a threat up top. Well done Pelle on finding a type of bus to park, but will he stick to this in future ?
  • What I can’t quite understand is why it took Pelle so long to give Martin a game?

Whilst not the best keeper in the world, he has played over 400 games in English football, played at Championship standard, & clearly has plenty of experience of what English football is all about (crosses, direct, physical etc).

When it became clear after Newcastle that Roberto was not up to it, Martin should have been in for Burnley & Spurs, as a bare minimum. I just am not sure why Pelle was so hesitant. I think I have worked out that Roberto should have done better with...

Everton - 1-0
    Sheffield United - 1-1
    Newcastle - 0-2 & 0-3
    Burnley - 2-0 & 3-0
    Spurs - 0-1

7 goals!!!
  • I think that's most peoples issue, why did it take so long? what couldn't he see that we could? I think you have been generous as I would have added Spurs 0-3 also. I feel Pelle has juts bought himself some more time with victory yesterday but in theory the one decision to stick with Roberto could have lost him his job. There is little doubt pelle is a decent enough manager but that one decision was undermining everything.

As well as a new keeper we had good spirit yesterday and those two things may dig Pelle out of the hole he finds himself.
  • Dave Martin ,,, I think get found out
    We need make most of it
  • The reason why Pelle was not keen to drop Roberto was that it would have given another example of his mate Husillos’ transfer failings following on from Sanchez, wilshere etc.
  • Husillos should not be in charge of transfers any longer. Enough is enough.
  • edited December 2019
    Transfers in under Pellegrini/Husillos that have played in the Prem

Pluses

Diop
    Fabianski
    Fredericks
    Yarmolenko
    Balbuena
    Anderson
    Martin

Minuses

Wilshere
    Perez
    Sanchez
    Roberto

Didn't stay long enough to have much effect

Nasri

To be confirmed

Fornals
    Haller
    Ajeti

So not all bad...
  • All about opinions I suppose. Putting aside emotion Martin has only played one game where whilst an improvement on Roberto (is that difficult?) still fumbled a couple and Chelsea didn’t really carry all that much of a goal threat otherwise

Fredericks was being pursued/watched long before Husillos arrived

Jury is out on Yarmo (still wish we’d tried to sign Maddison instead at the time), Balbuena and Anderson (we wouldn’t get our money back if we tried to sell right now)

Diop still needs working on.

Nasri is a failed signing in the Evra mould and I doubt Ajeti is going to come good.

Fab for me is the only categorically successful signing

I’m with Hammer Dublin and want Husillos gone asap so he can have no say in whomever we try to but in January.
  • edited December 2019
    I wouldn't say Perez was a minus. I still think he wasn't given enough chances.

I also don't think Yarmo is a plus, don't rate him at all. Also Is Martin really a plus?

According to ex we had the chance to sign Maddison but Moyes didn't rate him.

Just my opinion :ok:
  • I'm not convinced Wilshere is a Husillos signing either. I suspect both he and Fredericks were on Sullivan's radar before Pellegrini/Husillos came in.

But those wishing Husillos gone; just remember that that means Sullivan will be in charge of transfers again. It wasn't that long ago that people were screaming for him to step as far away from transfers as possible.
  • OCS - rumour has it that sully wanted to give Wilshere a much shorter contract but that it was Husillos/Pelle that wanted 3 years
This discussion has been closed.