The relegation battle - get out of my league!

Comments

• Admire your optimism Mooj, but I think Leicester will beat us. We're usually undone by decent pace and movement, so I think Vardy will do a bit of damage.

Agree on the other three results though.
  • It's not impossible that we already have enough points, but I really wouldn't like to see us put that to the test. Could really do with a win at Leicester so that we don't need anything going in to the last game v Everton.

I don't see Stoke getting enough to catch us, so it's a question of what Southampton can do to put pressure on us.

If Huddersfield would be kind enough to lose to Everton, given their final 3 games, that would give us some wiggle too.

Capture

Capture2
  • My word this is going to be messy.

I can see Stoke beating Palace but that alone won't be enough so I think they're gone. Their GD is is dreadful too and that won't be turned around.

Southampton could do something. A couple of winnable games in their run-in, so it wouldn't surprise me if they got close to us.

Swansea should get at least one win from their four so I make them safe; Palace, too, with a relatively kind set of fixtures. Brighton need something from Burnley but their GD could be worth an extra point so I think they're ok.

So between Southampton, Huddersfield and us for 18th ;hmm Right now, I think Man City will relegate Southampton on the last day.
  • We had the chance against Stoke to put relegation fears to bed.

Now after yesterday our GD is spanked.

We will just limp over the line, I think we will get 1 maybe 2 more points and that will be enough.
  • Fingers crossed for Tuesday, Derby at home to Cardiff, a draw or a win and Derby move into 6th, if Cardiff win they will be 4pts ahead of Fulham with only two games left.

I just don't want to see Colin (or the M..scum) in the Prem
  • we need a win versus Leicester. I think one of Stoke or Southampton will get out of it.
  • Yeold

I can't see how Stoke can catch us, so if they get out we'd be safe.
  • What irks me is had it not been for Madley's horror show v Bournemouth and Antonio's brain-fade against Palace, we'd be sat on 39 points and home and hosed ;angry
  • OCS ;ok
    That same thought occurred to me this morning when I woke up. ;weep
  • 35 points will be safe this season:

WBA - Loss/Loss/Win - 28 points - Relegated
    Stoke - Loss/Win/Draw - 33 points -Relegated
    Soton - Win/Loss/Draw/Loss - 34 points - Relegated
    Swansea - Loss/Loss/Draw/Draw - 35 points - Safe

• Moojor said:

35 points will be safe this season:

WBA - Loss/Loss/Win - 28 points - Relegated
    Stoke - Loss/Win/Draw - 33 points -Relegated
    Soton - Win/Loss/Draw/Loss - 34 points - Relegated
    Swansea - Loss/Loss/Draw/Draw - 35 points - Safe

West Ham - Loss/Loss/Loss/Loss - 35 points. Mission accomplished.

IMG_20180423_125130
  • OCS

;ok

When people moan and groan about VAR, I think back to that Bournemouth game.

A simple VAR decision, and the absence of it could have cost us a place in the PL.

Can't come soon enough for me. I think the PL made a big mistake rejecting it for next season.
  • What irks me is had it not been for Madley's horror show v Bournemouth and Antonio's brain-fade against Palace, we'd be sat on 39 points and home and hosed ;angry

Think Hart must come into those equations!
  • VAR would have also ruled out our first goal away v stoke and who knows whether we would have gone on to get three points without that helping hand
  • edited April 2018
    baracks

Then that would have been fair.

I don't think anyone benefits from games that involve clear errors.
  • I agree grey

There is no reason why it shouldn’t be implemented ASAP. Who cares if it causes confusion in the early stages - at least it will have a far greater chance of delivering the correct call. There is far too much riding on refereeing errors
  • I guess

What irks me is had it not been for Madley's horror show v Bournemouth and Antonio's brain-fade against Palace, we'd be sat on 39 points and home and hosed ;angry

Jay ;ok There's an argument that every player has made a mistake that has resulted in us conceding and potentially losing points.

In Antonio's case, however, we were literally seconds away from the three points. If he had held on to the ball we'd have won that game, no question. And had Madley been competent and disallowed Wilson's goal as he should have then Im sure we'd have won that one too.
  • I've thought for a while now that 35 points would just see you safe this season. However, it's nothing short of a disgrace that this club consistently achieves nothing but survival with the occasional relegation thrown in and I just cannot see it changing any time soon.

I think we will still be in the premier league next season but the thought of going through the same old disappointment and worry from start to finish of the season does not fill me with any joy whatsoever. I wish I could go off and support some other more successful team but it just doesn't work like that does it.

Blimey, if a Husband. Wife or partner consistently treated you the way West Ham treat us you'd just walk away.
    Wouldn't you ??? ;weep
  • However, it's nothing short of a disgrace that this club consistently achieves nothing but survival with the occasional relegation thrown in and I just cannot see it changing any time soon.

We finished 7th two seasons ago and have been midtable every season apart from this one since we were promoted
  • We were on the slide last season too aslef and relegation fears were definitely present amongst many.
  • However, it's nothing short of a disgrace that this club consistently achieves nothing but survival with the occasional relegation thrown in and I just cannot see it changing any time soon.

We finished 7th two seasons ago and have been midtable every season apart from this one since we were promoted
    With considerably less points. its still regression no matter how much you look at it.
  • We were 18th in September, we were never lower than 15th after Christmas, were up to 9th a few times and finished 11pts clear all with the Payet thing going on
  • Sorry ASLEF, throw in the abject cup performances and the Europa league debacles, getting up to ninth "a few times" doesn't cut it for me. I think at the very least this club should be capable of achieving more than avoiding relegation.
  • edited April 2018
    Giant

In which case, what would you consider achievement?

9th or 7th isn't avoiding relegation, imo.

In the last 20 FA Cups, only 13 of the 40 finalists have been outside the traditional top teams, and only 2 of the winners.

For the League Cup it is 14 teams, of which 5 of the winners are from outside the traditional top teams.

I don't see how anyone could reasonably 'expect' us to get to a cup final, never mind win one.
  • I'd actually forgotten about the Europa League ;doh Two seasons running we scraped in and had a big opportunity to have a go in a competition that we spent the 38 games of each season aspiring to get into, only to spectacularly fall at the first hurdle.

Now we're looking at a relegation battle that could go down to the last minute of the last game.

Irons.
  • I guess

What irks me is had it not been for Madley's horror show v Bournemouth and Antonio's brain-fade against Palace, we'd be sat on 39 points and home and hosed ;angry

Jay ;ok There's an argument that every player has made a mistake that has resulted in us conceding and potentially losing points.

In Antonio's case, however, we were literally seconds away from the three points. If he had held on to the ball we'd have won that game, no question. And had Madley been competent and disallowed Wilson's goal as he should have then Im sure we'd have won that one too.
    OCS ;ok
    Have to agree that particular game still haunts me !...
  • Ok so I’m still not sure about us staying up. A lot still to play for and I believe we’ll need 2 points.

However looking forward to the end of the season, I believe there a few reasons to be better spirited:

1) West Brom are going down. A team that has been hard to beat and in the prem for a few seasons. Being replaced by a weaker team
    2) Stoke are pretty much down. Even more than a bonus compared to West Brom.
    3) I think we have a good base of players to build on. Best squad for a long time.
    4) The board have to get the cheque book. Under big pressure to spend and spend well.
    5) whatever you think about Moyes he knows he has to deliver. He’ll work all off season to make things happen. Hope so!
    6) the word cup
  • sweepy,

1) West Brom being replaced by Wolves!
    4) The Board don't have to do anything, much as we would like them to, they haven't spent to the level we had hoped for.
    5) Moyes has some quality at his disposal but appears reluctant to use it to our benefit. Javier Hernandez he sold when at Manchester United and can see him doing so again so unsure he can be trusted to make the right decisions.
  • edited April 2018

Klopp gets away with being rude and disrespectful because the press think he’s a right card.

He’s not.

It was amusing though that WBA managed to put a plaster on a bullet wound against Liverpool.

Respect to Klopp who has improved Liverpool and gets my respect regardless of the press thinking “he’s a right card”
    #respectwheredue imo
    Manager P W D L F A Win %
    Klopp 108 54 31 23 196 121 50.0
    Rodgers 108 59 23 26 225 135 54.6
  • edited April 2018
    Okey dokey,
    Here's a little comparison of our premier league performances since season 2012.
    We have broken top 10 twice ie 10th once in our first season back in the prem and 7th in the first Payet season which I think most of us agree was a weird season as far as the top clubs were concerned so arguably it's a bit skewed. I know that final league positions would on the face of it look as though we aren't normally in danger of relegation but it generally certainly doesn't feel like that as the seasons wear on. At least it doesn't to me.

Also it doesn't look like we are making much, if any, inroads into the club progressing to any degree. In fact my own view for what it's worth is that, at best, we are standing still and here we are with a flirtation with relegation. I confess that short of a sugar daddy buying the club I can't see any way things will change at least for the foreseeable future.

The stats below are irrefutable but my reading of them is my own opinion and although I'm sure some of you wont agree with me I really don't want to get embroiled in any arguments over it.

Season W. D. L. Goals for and against. Diff. Points. Position
    12/13. 12. 10. 16. 45/53.......................... -8. 46. 10
    13/14. 11. 7. 20. 40/51.......................... -11. 40. 13
    14/15. 12. 11. 15. 44/47.......................... -3. 47. 12
    15/16. 16. 14. 8. 65/51.......................... +14. 62. 7
    16/17. 12. 9. 17. 47/64.......................... -17. 45. 11
    17/18. 8. 11. 15. 42/63.......................... -21. 35. 15

This discussion has been closed.