The relegation battle - get out of my league!

Comments

• edited March 2018
    From the first link:
    If a club is making a payment to an image rights company rather than a salary payment through the PAYE system, the player is not being taxed on that income at 45% but rather is paying corporation tax of 20% (falling to 18% by 2020).
  • That's the Tories for you.
  • Are there any figures regarding players being remunerated via an image rights company?
  • From the FT in Dec 2016:

Patrick Way, a barrister, says that most Premier League football clubs have been investigated over concerns that payments to footballers for their image rights were “disguised salary payments”. He said HMRC had been “reasonably successful” in arguing that 40 per cent to 60 per cent of the amounts paid for image rights were, in fact, salary and should be taxed as income.

20%

The maximum percentage of a star’s income that can be paid for image rights under a current HMRC deal

For the past three years, half of the Premier League has signed up to a deal with the HMRC that they will only pay a maximum of 20 per cent of a star’s income in an image rights deal. Some other clubs, according to Mr Hackleton, no longer sign up to image rights deals because of “the scars of old investigations”.
  • edited March 2018
    Wayne Rooney has been caught "avoiding" tax, allegedly.

https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/wayne-rooney-faces-3-5m-bill-alleged-tax-avoidance-1585424
  • Adam, good info ;ok
  • Don't forget they also pay 20% VAT on their flashy motors and stamp duty on their mansions ;ok
  • anyone know if the team has gone away for warm weather training ,I know there was talk about it
  • Yes they are in Miami
  • ;ok Miami ,just got back from there I could have stayed and sorted out all our problems
  • Oh goody, I think I will pop on down there and have a word.

I doubt that little ol me walking up to them on my jack jones constitutes a march, now if only I could find myself a corner flag......
  • Would people prefer another season in The Premier League just like this, (and last season come to think of it), where the cups are seen as an annoyance and a hindrance to "survival", and where games against Liverpool etc. are seen as a "free hit", where the level of ambition seems to peak at somewhere between being the best of the rest and keeping out of the relegation zone. Or, a season in the championship. For me it`s a tough call. For the most part, apart from the odd highlight, I have hated the past two seasons. If we survive, I can`t see next season being any different. We lucked out the last season at The Boleyn. Payet was the difference. ;scarf

Madcap ;wave

In your post you are suggesting that we will be only down in the championship for a season.
    You only need to look at the last two times we played in the championship or the fizzy pop league as it was cheerfully known then to know it wouldn't be easy to come straight back up.

;biggrin
  • Should have said a season or three to be honest, and I agree, it wouldn`t be easy to come back up. If we do manage to "survive" this season we really do need to strengthen, no more mid thirties and no more Hugills (although I quite like a gamble from the lower leagues). Five or six top quality signings and a cool £100 million + spend and we may just have a half decent season to look forward to. Anything less and it will be same old same old. That`s my fear, season after season of mediocrity.
  • edited March 2018
    Lets have a look at how the teams relegated last season are doing.

6th, 18th, 24th. It will not be easy. Any players on big wages (which I think are a lot of them) will have to be sold.
  • Brother Sledge. I think you may have stumbled upon a new economic theory, or at least solved the riddle that has puzzled some of the Worlds greatest minds. No more shortages, more nurses than you could shake a stick at, everyone happy, plus untold wealth and riches. Pay everyone £350,000 per week and tax revenue would be off the scale. Might even pay me mortgage off. ;biggrin
  • Madcap ;wave
    You're welcome ;biggrin
  • edited March 2018
    Whilst it was another hugely disappointing result for us, we are no worse off in terms of the bottom 3 than at the start of play.

Capture

That said, that probably won't be of any use if we don't get wins against Southampton and Stoke, as we'd then most likely be looking at getting a win from Leics away and/or Everton at home to stand a chance.

Capture2

I honestly thought we had managed to pull away a few weeks ago, but there is no doubt we are currently right in it.
  • Southampton and Stoke are 27 28 points beat them both and we will be on 36 and both of those teams may still be under 30 points. Definition of a 6 pointer game both games.
  • Personally I think it is two from Stoke, Southampton and us for the drop (to join WBA) Lose against Southampton and we are truly up to our necks in it.
  • Not playing this weekend could mean we are out of the bottom three on goal difference only.
  • Not playing at the weekend means that there is no prospect of us getting thrashed again
  • Not playing this weekend could mean we are out of the bottom three on goal difference only.

We might. But we could also still be 3 points ahead with a game in hand.
  • Can only hope.
  • baracks

Huddersfield aren't out of it by any stretch of the imagination, and nor are Palace, imo.
  • Grey

Maybe re : Huddersfield

Palace though are not actually playing that badly and had their main man missing only for their less winnable games - they will pull clear pretty quickly IMO
  • Zaha helps but they only have 1 defender and a poor keeper.

• but they do seem to have an easy run in
  • We had a poor keeper in our last match. ;doh
This discussion has been closed.