Summer 2017 Transfer Speculation (continued)

Comments

• Still definitely need another striker. An injury to Hernandez and back to square one. Relying on Carroll and Sakho. Assuming both are still here.

No, that's our business done (unless someone else leaves and we have to replace them). Based on everything that was said by the owners and manager about numbers and types of player we want, I'm 99% sure that's it. Possibly a 3rd GK f they think it's too risky to use a kid as back-up.

If we buy another striker Luke, what happens if both he AND Hernandez get injured? So maybe we need a 3rd ;hmm

No, they'll stick, and use Ayew, Arnautavic or Antonio if needs must. Or Fletcher or Martinez.
  • I don't think we'll sign anybody else and I'll be delighted with our business. I don't see what value it is to work out what we've spent. We've made great signings, and we've got them at great prices. Spending another £20 million for the sake of it seems completely counterproductive to the idea of signing quality over quantity, and trying to foster some squad stability.
  • Is that Josh King, Suze?
    If it is then I agree.
  • edited July 2017
    MrsG - actually both owners said we need two PL proven strikers.

We have signed one. So based on what they said we can expect another striker. ;wink

Arne is not a striker. He is a wide attacker and in any case, if he lets say could be counted as a striker, his scoring record is actually pretty awful in that case.
  • deehammer said:

Hernandez likes 14 as that was his father, Guitterez's number. Who has it now?

Obiang I think.

• The board have consistently said that if someone of a certain quality is available theyd try and make the effort to acquire them. I agree with the recent signings taking pressure off our TF business though

That said, Id still like Gray. Hes affordable in last year of contract, young, experienced in the Prem (playing in a lesser side) quick, hard working and scores a decent amount
  • Think Sakho will be gone. So given Calleri and Zaza have gone too and fletcher rumoured to be going on loan perhaps another striker will come in - it's not unreasonable to think so.

Nordveit has gone with no replacement so perhaps another c/m

And I think if we find another number 2 keeper, Adrian will be allowed to leave
  • Nah. He's a Leicester boy through and tthrough ;yercoat
  • Just to clarify its Andre Gray who Id like to sign. I wouldnt say no to Leicesters Gray either but think he'll be signed by a bigger club in near future
  • Lukerz,

They may have said earlier on that they'd sign two strikers, but they didn't say they'd sign two strikers plus a club record attacking winger.

So I think it's a fair assumption that the second striker evolved into signing Arnautovic based on his availability and the lack of other strikers available.
  • jorderz ;ok

I think they used 'striker' and 'forward' interchangeably, and I think therefore they see that as including Arnautovic playing in a front 3.
  • C&H reporting we need to sell before we can buy again as we have hit the limit on wages
  • Quick status check:

Squad is currently 24 strong, with 9 HG players.
  • edited July 2017
    That was meant to be the PaddyPower tweet

[edit - should be visible now, Herb]
  • King.

We should buy King.

Didn't Elvis have more problems with weight than Fat Frank and Benny Mc put together? Unless you want him to fill out the goal so we can go 0-1-5-4-1. But then why sign Hart? ;wink
  • edited July 2017
    Jorderz/MrsG - maybe, but then they are again missing an opportunity to push on.

Gold said 'two proven strikers' and his reasoning was both Sakho and Carroll are 'injury prone'.

I don't know how that then stretches to one striker and a winger who gets a few goals and assists.

I would be disappointed if that was our busness done. Shift a couple out, bring a couple more in, including another striker.

• Didn't Elvis have more problems with weight than Fat Frank and Benny Mc put together? Unless you want him to fill out the goal so we can go 0-1-5-4-1. But then why sign Hart? ;wink

Because he was a Moody Blue?
  • edited July 2017
    Sullivan says on talkSPORT 'still £100m in debt'. ;lol

We'll never hear the end of that.

Also says Sakho is 100% fit.

Says we don't need any more midfielders.
  • Slav - it's allright complaining about not pushing on if it's not your money, is it? I am pretty chuffed with our transfer business so far and if no-one else comes in, so be it. If the need arises I think our squad should be able to cope with injuries and we have youth players who can come in, too. Also, we only need to wait until Jan until we can sign players again.
  • King.

We should buy King.

What is it with you and Elvis?

;quaver From a Jack (Wilshere) to a (Josh) King?
  • edited July 2017

Shift a couple out, bring a couple more in

While I agree a couple of extra players could improve our team, I am wary that effectively forcing a couple out and bringing in too many first teamers can cause excessive disruption to the squad and could struggle to gel quickly, potentially damaging our start to the season. Of course contrary to that if we do make another great signing I'll be the first to be singing in delight but you know what I mean...

• Apparently the deal for Feghouli to Turkey is done.

That will mean Ayew as backup covering AM / Striker. Snodgrass then in backup for backup AM.

I think we need one more AM.

I would also still like a Dynamic DM with the Kouyate injury we have no else like him.
  • I think our squad need to be all shook up.
  • We can only sign more players if we have the wages available to pay them which means we have to sell first as we have hit our wage limit.
  • Apparently the deal for Feghouli to Turkey is done.

I think we need one more AM.

If any players leave, I think they should be replaced ;ok

(But only by someone at least as good. I don't want signings to just make up the numbers. I'd rather save the dosh for when someone who'll improve the starting XI comes available.)
  • Which you know how?
  • Still need a DM and a striker
  • The N'Diaye rumours aren't going away. From what I've read about him he can play the Kouyate role, i.e. box-to-box and can also play the No10 role. I wonder if he's being considered to fill a couple of roles in the squad ;hmm

With Kouyate injured, our midfield for the Man U game is likely to be Obiang and Noble, with Fernandes and Cullen (assuing he's not going on loan) on the bench. Not hugely strong so I wouldn't be surprised if we were looking at another CM.
  • edited July 2017
    So why I we still £100m in debut?

We were £100m in debt when they bought the club in 2010?

Don't understand. ;hmm
This discussion has been closed.