Leicester Match Thread (18th March 3pm KO)

Comments

• edited March 2017
    Grey,
    what's the difference between
    I like it when I can watch us and enjoy it, even if we lose
    and
    I like it when I can watch us and enjoy it even if we lose?

(apart from the comma of course
    or
    apart from the comma, of course)

The point to which you refer was in defence of Thorn's reasonable inference.
  • So the only teams we've beaten since Leicester 20 December 2014 without Noble in the starting line up are Accrington Stanley and Lusitanos.
  • Not read the whole thread but when are we going to start a game properly without waiting to be behind before we start playing.. First half apart from Lanzini brilliant free kick was a shambles . 2nd half was better ayew Lanzini were good byram had his best game for awhile. The rest were poor Antonio snodgrass were especially off the game and Randolph needs to be dropped he is not commanding the penalty area and stays on his line and I think Adrian needs a chance again . 2nd half we played some decent stuff and Leicester were up to their usual tricks the ref let them get away with stuff early and they knew they could take liberties all game. Osakai dived so much it was embarrassing and vardy is my most disliked players now . Unlucky not to get a draw but we should never have been 2 down in first place
  • We weren't unlucky to lose IMO

Leicester got themselves into a commanding position by half time then sat back in the second half and backed their defensive unit to get them the points which they succeeded in doing. Most away sides in a similar commanding position at half time would have done likewise.
  • edited March 2017
    Try as I might I am still struggling to put together a sentence, apart from this one, that contains the words "enjoy" and "lose" when referring to West Ham defeat.

What was Randolph doing for their first goal?

Still feeling very sore after yesterday's match.

c&bsky, sorry but the result does matter and I am tired of having to accept a good performance as a consolation for losing again. There is a lot to be said for winning games one nil, Arsenal and Liverpool won titles on the back of results like that.

• We had three v good chances to equalise for 20 mins Leicester were rocking Carroll and ayew both should have scored . Leicester scored with a cross
  • Seem to be mixed views on Antonio's performance. I thought he was immense. Some amazingly strong and purposeful runs and many were matched with an end-product, like the one or two should-have-been-assists he provided to Ayew. He and Lanzini stood out for me. Ayew showed some positive signs, and I would persist with him, but in his starting and ending position as one of the wide front-three (or otherwise as one of a pair of strikers) rather than just behind the striker(s), where we need Lanzini.

Yes, agree Masuaku spoiled his copy book with that wayward pass, but I would forgive that (given stage of the game: he was looking to rush the ball forward, I think, and didn't see options) and suggest overall he looked well worthy of starting over a lacklustre Cresswell, whose crossing was again woeful.

Snodgrass was disappointing. I think he showed Bilic was right not to start him.

Obiang didn't impress so much, and gave away possession sloppily leading to their first goal. Kouyate didn't get much chance to make his case for starting in CM, though seemed strong in defence. And Fernandes looked bright again when he came on late.
  • I don't agree with laying the reason for defeat at the door of our strikers. They are being asked to score four goals just to win a game at home. It must be soul destroying.
  • We wouldn't have this problem with our defending under, now what was his name?
  • NEoldiron said:

Grey,
    what's the difference between
    I like it when I can watch us and enjoy it, even if we lose
    and
    I like it when I can watch us and enjoy it even if we lose?

(apart from the comma of course
    or
    apart from the comma, of course)

The point to which you refer was in defence of Thorn's reasonable inference.

To me, the first implies that sone long as you enjoyed what you saw the result isn't as important. E.g good second half but we lost. So you enjoyed at least 45 mins

Where as the second implies that you are just happy to watch any game and enjoy it regardless of the result. E.g total rubbish for 90 mins and we lost, but you were happy to just be able to see the team play.
  • edited March 2017
    NE

What Moojor said.

Here it is in simple sentences; I hope this is clearer.

I like it when I can enjoy watching us (because we played well, created chances etc.)

In those circumstances, my enjoyment of that is not affected by whether we lose or not.

My enjoyment is related to how we played, and is separate to my feelings about the result.

I'm never going to enjoy the fact that we lost.

I hope that is clearer, because I'm not explaining any more.

• Harsh to blame the strikers, when their GK got MOTM. imo.
  • grey, "In those circumstances, my enjoyment of that is not affected by whether we lose or not."

Well done for being able to look at things that way but I make no apologies for saying I can't. ;ok
  • We had two clear chances near to the end of the match, and both attempts were very poor positioning wise. There goalkeeper hardly had to move. ;doh
  • Just to confirm we are a mid table level team who are erm mid table? Still above the current Champions and Palace who spent a fortune last Summer? I don't understand all the doom and gloom, I bet there are plenty of teams who'd swap with us.

Yesterday's first half wasn't good enough and I shook my head vigorously and tutted as loudly as I could (which I personally think made the players change their ways) but I thought the second half we battered them and were a tad unlucky in the end.

• Of all the things we could discuss following yesterday's game the one we focus in on is whether or not Grey enjoyed himself.

;lol
  • Suzanne,

I decided to go with the one I could keep brief and to the point or no points again if I am honest. ;angry
  • edited March 2017
    I don't wish to sound mean but my takeaway from the game was not I wonder if Grey enjoyed that but why can't we defend from the get go.
  • Oh just to add fuel to the fire, I enjoyed bits of the game too.
  • When I look at each of the components of our defence I think it is all pretty good for a mid table side, but they just don't seem to work together.

Randolph? Decent. Byram? Decent. Fonte? Good. Reid? Very Good. Cresswell? Good. Obiang? Good. Kouyate? Very Good.

We just seem incredibly disorganised at the back.
  • There are the makings of a very talented player in Sam Byram. It's just a pity he is at club where the defensive coaching is hopeless as this is the area of his game which needs nurturing
  • I like Byram, I think he tries to do the right thing. Wasn't that impressed with Snoddy who kept on putting the onus on Sam to get down the wing, over and over and didn't try anything himself, but could still be playing with a bit of a knock after those stitches.....

Hate to say it, but I think Randolph needs be replaced now, the first goal he won't be happy with, yep he was looking for a touch from a header but it wasn't good. Get Adrian back in for the rest of the season, the boy has something to prove.

Cresswell needs to be on the bench as well, lets change this up and give it a go. then regroup with some serious funds in the summer.
  • Byram's quicker than Snodgrass I think? (Could be wrong). So maybe it was part of the plan to give him the ball?
  • It was like Snoddy couldn't get rid of it quick enough......
  • Move it quickly, keep up the tempo....

Pass it forward, not sideways or backwards ....

Don't dwell on the ball, you haven't got time in this league ....

;wink
  • I enjoyed the game, obviously much more if we had taken something from it, but nonetheless very good for the neutrals and as a spectator, it was very entertaining. All our recent games with LCFC have followed the same kind of patterns and yesterday was the same; very competitive and combative with both teams' styles gelling to make a good match up:- LCFC on the counter, defending deep and playing off one or 2 players with individual moments, whilst WHU on the front foot, dominating possession and trying to convert pressure into changing the status quo of the game.

It was a strange game and a start which took us all by surprise with the quick double, however we re-grouped, scored a lovely goal and worked ourselves back into the game which made conceding the third goal before the break so disappointing. At the moment we are struggling for confidence and momentum but we are showing real character and I honestly believe we are not the far away from where we need to be- only to be a bit more patient, structural and intelligent, especially with our game control because we are giving ourselves too much to do and gains to the opposition which are avoidable.

Sam Byram played really well at right back and definitely showed enough to earn a run in the side towards the end of the season. He did show signs of fatigue late on but that was to be expected given his lack of match action and the physically demanding role he plays in constantly getting up and down the flank to provide and overlap for snodgrass, which at times worked very well and other times could've developed better. Cresswell had a rough game at Bournemouth but looked a bit closer to his old self, more aggressive, direct and more self belief. Ayew is finally looking more settled and in tune with his team mates after the initial struggles of adapting; I like the Carroll and Ayew partnership and would like to see persisted with.

As for the goals, I think the 1st should've been saved by Randolph as its something keepers practise alot these days with the development of wingers cutting in on their stronger foot and he had a pretty clear sight all the way through without the ball being that vicious with pace. Whilst the 2nd I think you have to give credit to LCFC for a very intelligent and well executed set piece routine. The 3rd was just messy and requires more discipline, Carroll attacks a ball he shouldnt, which then causes chaos in the area he vacated, when if the corner is that flat he should hold his position because the corner can only be flicked on. I would like to see Adrian brought back into the team, I think he is the better keeper, wins us more points and is a bigger presence and character which is needed from set pieces and I'd like to think that the spell out of the team has done him good and allowed him to work on one or two things.

• For me, Randolph hasn't done enough wrong to warrant being dropped. He probably should have done better for the first, but I'm willing to cut him some slack on that because of the run across him and having to wait until the last moment to react.
  • Time to bring back Adrian, he's served his sentence!

Randy doesn't command the box at set pieces although a good shot stopper (as is Adrian). Anyone recall why we swapped Adrian for Randy in the first place before calling this comment harsh?
  • Adrian had dropped a number of rickets - including running out of his area on a fools errand and conceding goals.

Personally I don't think you could fit a fag paper between them and I'd add a better GK to the summer shopping list.
This discussion has been closed.