The 'couldn't think where else to put this' and decided it didn't merit a new thread thread

Comments

• Were they West Ham fans?
  • edited November 2017
    Watching the game yesterday, it struck me (although not for the first time) that there needs to be more forms of in-game sanctions other than yellow and red cards.
    AC gets another stupid yellow for a little tug/dig at Richarlison but which did not interrupt an attack by Watford, whereas Lanzini who was making a purposeful run in midfield was barged off the ball by Cleverley and only a free kick given.
    Marriner apparently just viewed the foul in isolation, without taking into account the impact that had on West Ham's attack.
    The problem with yellow cards is that the offending team's next opponents are the ones who benefit if the player is over his limit of yellows. I think there should be a similar system to that in Rugby where the offending player is sent to the sin bin. At least in this way the team that has been fouled gets some immediate advantage. Thoughts?
  • No thanks. Get better refs.
  • Gaelic games have an additional black card, which is essentially an enforced substitution.
  • Yeah, and they have big sticks. ;biggrin
  • So IH, you don't like the idea of a sin bin?
  • Herb

Not sure we can get refs much better than the current standard.

For all our moans, they mostly do a pretty impressive job of things.

I think the speed of the game (and the nature of it, where many players see cheating as another skill set) requires video ref support.
  • I still think a 5 minute sinbin for yellows is the way to go. 5 minutes for a first yellow, 10 for a second, 15 for a third, etc. You could get any number of yellows in a game, they don't contribute towards suspensions, and then there are straight reds still
  • ;lol Martin Atkinson's head would explode!
  • Sin bin great idear, sending off helps other teams out in the next match
  • I am on day 2 of a 3 day training course and realised yesterday afternoon that the trainer says pacific when he means specific. Please send thoughts and prayers
  • edited November 2017
    I have heard others pronounce in the same way (I inwardly cringe and the sapiosexual in me wants to distance myself). My thoughts are that at least you only have one more day ;biggrin My prayers revolve around you recording it and uploading it ;wahoo
  • I had a boss about 30 years ago who used to say it. He also used to tell prospective clients "you're safe and secure coming to us as we don't use any of that belts and braces stuff".
  • edited November 2017
    Had a French colleague who pronounced focus in a way that made us giggle...

• alderz said:

I am on day 2 of a 3 day training course and realised yesterday afternoon that the trainer says pacific when he means specific. Please send thoughts and prayers

Alderz, next time he says it interrupt him with "That`s a very large ocean". He will frown, look bemused and say "Sorry?" You say "The Pacific is a very large ocean, the word you are looking for is specific".
    This takes a lot of courage, I am not known for my courage, but I can`t let people ruin my life like this so have corrected people on a number of occasions. It is very odd, because if people say blatantly racist, sexist or homophobic things I generally let it pass having not the courage to challenge them. But using the word "pacific" instead of "specific" ...................... unforgivable
    ;angry

A couple of other things that "rattle my chains"...........

"Got your back"

"My bad"

"Moving forward" ........... As soon as someone uses this they have lost me, I have no interest in what they have to say, I totally tune out. It is used a lot by people trying to sound more informed than they could possibly ever be and to make them look and sound intelligent and progressive. I snapped the other day listening to a rep (whose product I was genuinely interested in) who had used it three times within a single sentence. A lost sale. And I did tell him why. This is a very common phrase now which if you are attuned to it will most definitely grate. Dave Brentism at its absolute worst. So, moving forward.................. ;doh ;doh ;doh
  • One of the directors of a company I used to work for used to say "that's a mute point" ;biggrin
  • Madcap, one of my pet hates is "from the get-go" ;angry
  • People in my company have starting adding "gentle reminder" to the topic of email when sending a chaser.

I find this very passive aggressive, especially when they send it a day after the first email...

Thanks I've been wanting to get that off my chest for a while...
  • That's a new one on me. 'Polite Reminder' I've met.
  • My hackles are always raised whenever someone starts off with “here’s the deal” you know that the rest of the sentence will not be in your best interests.

Ho hum
  • Or to tell you the truth which obviously means a lies coming up
  • I always assume 'to tell you the truth' precedes something you don't want to hear.
  • I also wonder about “in all honesty” does that mean I should have taken everything else you may have said to me with a pinch of salt.
  • What about “no offence”
  • on the fence ;thumbsup
  • No defence
  • Like the old favourite “I don’t mean to be rude”....
  • edited November 2017
    How about, 'I'm not racist BUT' ... immediately followed by a racist comment. ;doh

I'm like, 'Mate, if you aren't racist, don't make racist comments. Then you won't need to preface them with a justification.'

Alternatively, you should be saying 'I'm not racist, I just like to make racist remarks once in a while.' ;hmm
  • Mrs g
    Shirley
    it’s only it’s only recist if it’s offensive
  • Don't call me Shirley ;biggrin
This discussion has been closed.