The David Moyes Thread

Comments

• I'd like Scotty Parker to be our next manager but one. I'm presuming Pelle 's replacement has been sorted. SP has turned Fulham around from an expensively bought shambles to promotion candidates. If we go down, he's best placed to get us back up. He knows the club, he's tough, he's on the way up, he's English.
  • You're a football manager who believes you are good enough to manage in the PL.

Which squad would you prefer to inherit;

Norwich

Watford

Villa

West Ham

Bournemouth

Southampton

Brighton

Burnley
  • edited December 2019

I don’t know why people are saying the owners are too tight when they got Pelle out of his Chinese club and made him one of the highest-paid managers in the world.

I know people don’t like them (I don’t, in fact), but let’s not pretend they have no record of forking out serious cash on a manager.

Not exactly true Jorderz, while they did pay him a decent wedge that I do agree, there was no settlement paid to the Chinese club Pelle had quit, just his salary.

Same article also suggests they baulked at Paying 6 miiion to get the right choice then IMO, being Benitez.

I never really bang on about our owners, It's not there fault they don't have the dosh that others owners do in the PL, but they are accountable for us renting a stadium that might be wonderful, but not for football & look likely re appointing Moyes..

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/05/21/west-ham-agree-manuel-pellegrini-deal-worth-7m-year/

By all accounts Moyes meeting owners today, will be praying they can't come to an agreement :ok:

BTW to the mods, when a thread is usually closed, you can still view it, where has the previous thread gone re speculation about Pelle going ?
  • You're a football manager who believes you are good enough to manage in the PL.

Norwich

Watford

Villa

West Ham

Bournemouth

Southampton

Brighton

Burnley

I think you could add Newcastle and Sheffield Utd and I’d still say ours
  • Cuz

I agree. I'd probably add Everton and Palace.

We really do have a squad loaded with potential.
  • Maybe in certain areas, however we do not IMO even have first choice top 8 quality players for ever position at the moment. Left back and CDM being two.
  • baracks

Top 8?

People have us as nailed on relegation fodder.

• BTW to the mods, when a thread is usually closed, you can still view it, where has the previous thread gone re speculation about Pelle going ?

jay, I've just noticed that. There was a spam attack on the forum last night, and we deleted a bunch of stuff. I think it might have inadvertently got caught up in that.

I'll investigate - there used to be a way of restoring deleted things (but it might only have been comments, not threads) so I see if it's possible. If not, I can only apologise.
  • edited December 2019
    Of the teams currently top 7-12, I'd say only Wolves (and possibly Arsenal) have significantly better players than us.

Wilder is performing heroics with the Blunts, but I wouldn't want their squad I'd take their team spirit in a heartbeat, mind.
  • baracks

Top 8?

People have us as nailed on relegation fodder.

Well our owners mention ambition in their statement
  • Moyes to me would be a backward (very) step, I really hope S&G&B go back down that route.
  • When Moyes was last here, the 18th places team had 33 points — the bar was very low indeed - and there still thrashings given to us by the likes of Burnley and Swansea. I do not at all see the clamour in wanting him back. No-one else has wanted him since his time with us.
  • edited December 2019
    People have said to go back down the route of getting an ex manager back is a NO GO, when I said just get Slav ( or even BFS ) before the thought of MOYES returning. I 100% agree with them re Moyes, look for an alternative ( & certainly not Pullis )..MOYES is 1 route we should not go back to IMO, but sadly looks the obvious choice ...
    I hope that the many fans showing discontent on the internet of the thought of Moyes returning might just make the owners rethink, I know they are just people on the internet venting their opinions, but I would guess a number of them also hold season tickets or go to matches on a regular basis.

Still believe that they should go all out for Benitez, it would cost them & they would have to intice him, yeh I understand that, but as said, make him an offer he can't refuse, he IMO would be a long term investment & someone who also knows the PL as much as any other manager.
  • Let Maresca have a few games as caretaker see if he is up to the job , Unai Emery is available as an outside shout
  • edited December 2019
    Re: Emery, don't really see how a manager with a decent previous record, who failed to get the best out of a good squad, helps us. We've just got shot of one of those...
  • Crikey I’d rather have Moyes over Emery!
  • I wish people would stop saying things like 'the club should go all out', since it contains the implicit assumption they don't/won't.

Benitez has already said he doesn't want a PL job at this time. Short of kidnapping, what do people propose we do?
  • I think Pelle got himself sacked . Some of his decisions were a bit odd. I think he knew this whole club has a losing mentality and he like many before him found out the club was destroying him.

He was taken over by the malaise that seems to affect everyone who comes to West Ham.

Players lose their ability and passion and decent managers become clueless.

What on earth has happened to this club?

The club needs to change its mentality completely.
  • Benitez if we could get him would be my preferred choice. Sullivan is supposed to have links to him and he was an option before we went for Pelligrini. We need to appoint someone quick (before our next game) so my fear is they will go for deadwood like Moyes which would be a big mistake,, even Everton fans didn’t seem to want Moyes back recently which speaks loud and clear about Moyes.
  • Grey, why not, people often say things and then do something different. Have a plan, get everything in order and give him a offer, lay it out, make it clear he is the manager that we want & this is what we can offer you, I don't know if they have done this already, that I do agree with, but IMO money talks...No harm in trying IMO.
  • Very much doubt he'd be available, but wouldn't mind us taking a punt on Potter.
  • If we go near Pulis I'll give up watching West Ham.

If we go with Moyes it will be OK but dare I say it a dull appointment.

• Exeter, I couldn't, but I do feel your pain.
  • Grey, I would however be watching them again within the year as he would be gone by then.
  • Thanks Mrs Grey :clap:
  • Hamstew:
    "I'm sure I read this Enzo fella was also responsible for other games that we did not win."

Any further information on this, as if it's true he would just be MP Mk2 ?
  • Thanks Mrs Grey :clap:

I can't take credit, it was grey :ok:
  • MrsGrey said:

Thanks Mrs Grey :clap:

I can't take credit, it was grey :ok:
    Thanks Grey!

Norwich

Watford

Villa

West Ham

Bournemouth

Southampton

Brighton

Burnley

In terms of players, I think we'd come top of most manager's lists.

However, the problem is bigger than that. If you change the question to, 'which owners would you prefer to work for', I think we may be nearer the bottom.

From what I've read, Bielsa turned us down post-Allardyce because he didn't want to work for Sullivan. Given the very public - and not very professional - way in which he and Brady work, I wouldn't be surprised if other top-end managers with genuine ambition felt the same way.
  • MrsGrey/Grey regarding past comments, is it no longer possible to search & view ones previous posts?