The David Moyes Thread

Comments

• Won't make any difference who comes in in the long term. Need new owners..Desperately.
  • Won't make any difference who comes in in the long term. Need new owners..Desperately.

Unless they go bankrupt, I don't think they're ever going. Have given up on hoping for that. So we'll just have to deal with it. Like we have to deal with losing our stadium for a soulless bowl.
  • Moyes isnt my preferred option and I think it's a pretty underwhelming appointment

That said I thought he will get us doing the basics right and install a bit of bite which we havent got

Dont expect him to be at the helm long but it looks like it's happening so gonna get behind him

Will be interested to see if he goes back to a back 3 which worked well for him with Cresswell LCB

- - - - - - - - - - - - Fab - - - - - - - - - - -
    - - - - Diop - - Oggy - - Cress - - - - -
    - Ryan - - Noble - Rice - Fornals - Masuaku -
    - - - - - - Antonio - - Haller - - - - - -
  • 18 month deal it will be apparently.

Give him some cash in January to get in a decent CM & another striker.

He is not my choice & I really do feel we are going backwards, but he has to be backed if he gets it.
  • Go forward, not back. Shows to me that Sullivan and co don't have a clue what they are doing. Quelle surprise.
  • Ex seems to think it's Moyes. Twitter is in uproar :lol: the stadium is gonna get ripped to shreds.
  • When is Twitter not in uproar?
  • We’ll need another centre back (or left back if he puts Cresswell at the LCB position), if he goes with 3 at the back.
  • Moyes?? Enough said from me
  • When is Twitter not in uproar?

When I'm tweeting pictures of clowns
  • So in their statement they said something about wanting to get the club back on track with their ambitions

So we have Moyes whose last three gigs have garnered win percentages of 28.5%, 19% and 29%

What exactly are the “ambitions” of g&s. I’d really love to know
  • Moyes 13 wins out his last 65 prem games. Surely not?
  • edited December 2019
    I really wish that someone had not mentioned Pulis, coz for the first time in my life I find myself wanting Moyes,

No I really don’t,

I frankly have no-one in mind other than perhaps Benitez, unfortunately we are not in a position to take a chance on someone relatively fresh, but ideally I would have liked to bring in someone who is showing promise in a lower league or overseas and for whom taking over West Ham would be a step up.

For the last manager appointment that “felt” right was Slaven and I for one was really sorry to see him go.

I have no idea how this is going to turn out but I fear it is going to be ugly.

But whatever happens, please not Pulis

• He was given £9M to spend and the squad was poorer then than it is now.

Get him in on a proper contract, get the team structured and hard-working and give him a bit of cash, and I think he’ll do well.

I would hazard a guess that he wouldn’t be given a whole lot more this time round as Husillos appears to have spent it all and the owners have just had to pay off pelle

• Many people want Kovac on twitter. Any good?
  • Benitez is the only proven premiereship manager out there, but we just had a "proven" premiership manager. So the best of the rest seem to be Moyes and Hughton. I would go for Hughton as Moyes coming back to the club is not much motivation for the players. Plus if the worst happens Hughton is a better option to get us out of the Championship.
  • edited December 2019
    Not sure what people mean by going backwards. In terms of league position/ performance, when did we last go forwards for ant sustained period? Whoever we get in has a 'top 8' squad to work with, imo. If it's Moyes, I would expect him to get the best (or at least a lot better) in pretty short order.

Imagine what most managers could do with a squad including;

Haller, Anderson, Lanzini, Formals, Antonio Ajeti, Yarmo, Snodders, Deccers,

Fab, Diop, Balbuena, Cressers, Arthur, Oggie, Fredericks, Zaba, Johnson, Noble

The great mystery is why a manager of Pelle's pedigree couldn't get more out of them - but I don't think it was down to lack of quality in the players.
    We've got the money for a proper DM. Whoever comes in should be on Easy Street with that lot.
  • edited December 2019
    Not sure what people mean by going backwards. In terms of league position/ performance, when did we last go forwards for anynsustained period? Whoever we get in has a 'top 8' squad to work with, imo. If it's Moyes, I would expect him to get the best (or at least a lot better) out of them in pretty short order.

The great mystery is why a manager of Pelle's pedigree couldn't get more out of them - but I don't think it was down to lack of quality in the players.
    We've got the money for a proper DM. Whoever comes in should be on Easy Street with that lot.
  • jay, never in a million years will Poch come.

Yeold, I thought the same. Seems really risky having a caretaker in charge for a massive game against Bournemouth. But then again, I wonder how much poorer we could realistically be than some recent games.

Well either Pelle is rubbish or he's not. Can't have it both ways.
  • MrsGrey said:

Not sure what people mean by going backwards. In terms of league position/ performance, when did we last go forwards for ant sustained period? Whoever we get in has a 'top 8' squad to work with, imo. If it's Moyes, I would expect him to get the best (or at least a lot better) in pretty short order.

I agree that the quality is there in our squad - Pellegrini just didn't know how to use it. Even though there is quality in our squad, it's not well balanced and lacks quality depth i.e way too many creative midfielders, not enough quality and hard working central midfielders and not enough options up front. Unfortunately for the next manager, he's unlikely to be able to sort out the balance in the squad in the January transfer window as it requires a lot of work.

I've always liked Houghton and think he would be a decent option.
  • IronHerb said:

jay, never in a million years will Poch come.

Yeold, I thought the same. Seems really risky having a caretaker in charge for a massive game against Bournemouth. But then again, I wonder how much poorer we could realistically be than some recent games.

Well either Pelle is rubbish or he's not. Can't have it both ways.
    Huh?
  • I originally posted the 'squad' comment on Mrs G's account by mistake, instead of mine.
  • edited December 2019
    If you believe the following, Enzo Maresca has been OFFERED the job.

This is the guy who masterminded our win against Chelsea. The question is, what exactly has he been offered? A caretaker position for the next match? The permanent job? The tweet is from yesterday, so this must have happened BEFORE today's match. :hmm:
  • Moyes and Big Sam are the managers that made the biggest impact with least tools and time. Both deserved better treatment.
  • I'm sure I read this Enzo fella was also responsible for other games that we did not win.
  • More on Maresca; this time there is a claim that he is going to be our caretaker manager.

• Are you Guardiola in disguise (hope so) :hmm:
  • edited December 2019
    Pulis :lol: If he is appointed I will 100% buy a Liverpool top and give up any pretense of spurning my redhead mistress any longer

Hughton... If we are going to get him we might as well try for Potter. He's improved Brighton and they play proper football. Hughtons Brighton were virtually on their way out of the Prem when he was manager. Progressively worse at the back (Duffy n Dunk against the world) and prehistoric going forward. I don't see what he would bring.

Moyes... I have nothing that personal against him. I just happen to think there surely are more progressive, modern managers out there. (prefer him over Pulis and Hughton though)

We need someone to stamp an identity on our play. To get us playing effective football with systems we can both understand and implement.

With some Jan signings we should have more than a strong enough squad. I dont think its a question of quality, more so some obvious shortcomings in certain areas allied to a manager who couldn't motivate the players.

For me, whoever we bring in player wise needs to have some passion and fight in their personality as we need to alter the apparent lack of it on the pitch. People who'll lift those around them.

Having Enzo until we find someone implies we havent been looking which I find tough to believe considering recent weeks. I think him as caretaker will perhaps see Sullivan go back to buying players (as I am assuming he will bin off Husillos?). It makes sense to have him in the short term as its the norm when a club sacks the manager to have an in house step in until a new appointment is made.

• Enzo looks like he could win a cup or two...could sway me with a decent performance against Bournemouth.