The David Moyes Thread

Comments

• My friend who supports Everton has nothing but warm words for Moyes.
  • I don't think there is enough mention of the way that Moyes accepts defeat with grace, often just stating that we did enough for a point, or that the opponents were worthy winners. Contrast that with Rafa yesterday, saying the corner that led to the goal should have been a free-kick to them, in other words blaming the referee/assistant for a poor decision.
    Moyes exudes class IMO.
  • IronHerb said:

He received warm applause from the Everton fans yesterday. The West Ham players and staff entered and left the pitch in the corner by the away fans but the home stand applauded him on and off the pitch too. Nice touch.

Yeah we were in that corner and it was great to see the Everton fans doing that.
    Hats off etc.

• I bet even Rafa doesn't get that applause from Everton fans. Strange appointment, right up there with George Graham to Spurs or Harry to Southampton.
  • edited October 2021
    I find it interesting how we have evolved this season. Last season our play was very much ‘sit back, pinch possession & break at pace & with direct play’ & this was done through Antonio, Benrahma, Bowen & Lingard. We had very little possession (around 40% we averaged).

This season our play has evolved. We have had more possession in 5/8 games & have been pushing 60% possession in a couple. We seem to look to control & dictate games more this season & this goes back to something I felt last season, that our all round performances were better before Lingard came in.
  • edited October 2021
    Remember when David Moyes was appointed & he said the iconic ‘winning, it’s what I do’. He was laughed at by most.

He currently has his highest win percentage as a manager, here (48%), but it’s even higher if you only include it from after lockdown 1 (53%).
  • https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2021/oct/25/david-moyes-west-ham-success

An opinion piece in the Grauniad today. I found it interesting, and not just in the context of Moyes but football opinions generally.
  • Lukerz said:

Remember when David Moyes was appointed & he said the iconic ‘winning, it’s what I do’. He was laughed at by most.

He currently has his highest win percentage as a manager, here (48%), but it’s even higher if you only include it from after lockdown 1 (53%).

I think people laughed because his win percentage at his previous two clubs were 29% and 19% respectively, which suggested winning certainly wasn't what he was doing.

So I can understand why people were sceptical about that statement, but at Preston and Everton, where he had time to build a squad and install an identity, he did very well. Hopefully now he's been given time here he can carry on at his current rate.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59148845

It's really nice when you have a manager who is so easy to like as a person, we have had a few over the years with of course the late great John Lyall at the top of that particular list, along with the likes of Billy Bonds, Zola, Slav and even Harry in the early years. Moyes enters that list for me.

It's also a mark of just how honest Moyes is that he is able to recognise publicly the part Rice plays in our overall success. I know it's only what everyone knows anyhow but very honest of Moyes. If he does leave at the end of the year it's another Rooney moment for Moyes. It must have really hurt him to lose Rooney knowing he was as irreplaceable as Rice will now be to us.

• edited November 2021
    I think after what happened to him at Man. U and Sunderland he’s shown a great deal of self belief to come back as strong as he has. His confidence must’ve taken a kicking when he was out of work and it was looking like he was finished.
    Football however has got a nasty way of building you up and knocking you down, he’ll know that he’s in a purple patch at the moment and he won’t take it for granted.
  • I just watched the interview with him on the club site ( we've got a great club) and find him very likeable. Low key, modest, crediting his staff for their work, praising the players. He seems to be honest and realistic, wanting to aim high but not in any way a sense of entitlement.
  • The BBC was discussing managers at risk and had a picture of Moyes , with the quote that he is as secure as Klopp and Pep and how the others wish they were in his shoes, some turn around for the club
  • There are some big moments coming up for him regard how does he utilise the January window and can he influence the Rice situation. Sadly I feel were Chelsea also rans at present he may have signed as I think that's where he sees himself, I am not sure he would hold out from a big contract offered were it City or United in for him a she clearly loves West Ham.
  • How high must Moyes stock be, I would think more than half of Premier League clubs would love to have him. Is he worth more than Rice?
  • Nobody has answered my question above. If we had to loose one of Rice or Moyes Who would you keep?
  • edited November 2021
    Moyes as we wouldn't get £100m plus for him. 😊
  • Well if we could keep Rice for his whole career then him, I think. But that's a much harder question to answer than I would've thought not a year ago.
  • I think they probably both owe each other a fair amount
  • I'd probably keep Moyes, which is mad.
  • I'd keep Moyes and take the 100M+ for Rice plus trust Moyes to use that money to reinvest in the team (especially in Rice's position). Players dont stay long, especially desired ones, but managers can build something over a longer period of time if allowed.
  • The way he’s managed the squad so far this season has been mightily impressive. I must admit I thought we might struggle playing 3 games a week,as many other clubs in the past have, but to be in the position we’re in at this stage is quite an achievement.
  • What I noticed in pre match interviews is he seems so relaxed, like weight is off his shoulders. He really seems to be enjoying the ride. I know I am
  • I reckon he looks younger. He could be the Oil of Olay of the football world hahaha
  • He is clearly a decent man who has made football his life, it would have been a travesty if the last impression anyone had of him at the end of that career was as a failure due to the United, Spanish and Sunderland jobs, he is now getting the respect he deserves once again and back to the standards he set year on year at Everton.

It really would be a fairy tale in so many ways were we to win something, Moyes, Noble and Rice leading us to something before he leaves.
  • I see Moyes has been voted as manager of the year on BBC sports page. Well deserved.
  • edited January 2022
    Moyesici
    #top4
  • Well it sounds better than Allerdici.
  • I'm not sure where else to put it than The David Moyes Thread, but I have just read that this lad, Henry Newman, is one of two coaches to be joining the club to replace Mark Warburton and Paul Nevin. According to Ex, the other one is going to be a Spanish coach who has recently left Getafe, but he hasn't gone so far as to name them.
  • edited August 2023
    Jeez, nearly had a heart attack given the thread title is "The David Moyes Thread - Updated: Signs new 3-year deal". 😱😱😱

Naughty boy alderz 😂🤣😂

Edit: seeing as the new deal part isn't topical now, could someone edit the thread title back to being just "the David Moyes thread" please?
  • Too late for me, just ripped up my season ticket! (luckily it was from 1989 ;) )