Compare Kouyate and Pogba: how much are they worth?

edited August 2016 in Men's First Team
Created by comment split off from the Bournemouth match thread.

Comments

• Just a quick curiosity with Kouyate in mind....

Pogba vs Kouyate...

Kouyate, as we all know, can play CB, can score goals and, as mentioned, is a BEAST!

First question... Who would you have in your team (you can only pick one)

Second question... Considering Pogbas recent transfer fee, in todays market what is Kouyates value?

Answers on a postcard ;hmm
  • bazWHUusa said:

Just a quick curiosity with Kouyate in mind....

Pogba vs Kouyate...

Kouyate, as we all know, can play CB, can score goals and, as mentioned, is a BEAST!

First question... Who would you have in your team (you can only pick one)

Second question... Considering Pogbas recent transfer fee, in todays market what is Kouyates value?

Answers on a postcard ;hmm

I think this would need a very large, separate thread!
  • Fair enough on the 'large, seperate thread'.... but a few people would actually have to answer the questions first, no ;wink
  • Kouyate, £35m ;ok
  • Do you want me to split it off, where it may attract more attention on its own?
  • Mrs, I personally think that if people were interested in the questions to any degree ( which, to be fair, was just a random come into my head thought last night) they'd be answering in sufficient numbers for you to think it best to transfer to its own thread.

Now if it contained a pun on a certain subject line (like fish or vegetables!), there'd be no need to ask ;doh ;whistle
  • p.s I'd but gutted if we only got 35M for Kouyate!
  • It haddock to happen didn't it, someone mentioning fish puns ;lol
  • I know, especially as he's our best player, but were do you stop.
    Weren't Spurs allegedly sniffing around for £15m last year? So £35 is conservative.
  • Kouyate plays for West Ham, so it's 12m. Pogba plays for Juventus, so it's a bazillion. If Man City sign Kouyate for 12m, they could resell him for 50m. We just need a little bit of brand management -which is what the Daves have been /are doing.
  • Oh, and if we're continuing fish puns, let minnow.
  • A dab hand SHF ;hmm
  • Plaice your bets who we get.
  • These fish puns are a never ending Dory ;whistle (first and last time I contribute to any pun sequence ;wink )
  • Apparently Spurs offered 15M and the Daves responded by laughing (which is bang on!) ;lol
  • Baz, I've not seen much of Pogba, but what I have seen he doesn't look better than Kouyate imo and I don't even rate him as highly as most hammers (think his short passing is poor). I think this summer, he'd be worth £40m. Pogba should have been £50m tops, don't know what united were playing at.
  • edited August 2016
    Sending out a message, making a statement and all that.

Much as some WH fans want our club to do, Arsenal fans want their club to do etc?
  • the 40M and 50M got an agree from me :)
  • Kouyate is probably my favourite player, though Dimi runs him very close of course. But I think he'd need to regularly score 8+ goals a season to be "worth" more than 30mn in last year's market. I haven't quite adjusted to this year's market. And I don't have time to type that many zeros. But if I compare him to Pogba, admittedly on limited evidence (I did look up their stats as well), I would have him at about 1/2 of Pogba, where I would suggest a more reasonable fee for Pogba would have been around 60. That may even be generous: Kouyate got 5 goals and 2 assists in the EPL last season, with pass success at about 80%. The season before was almost the same: just one goal fewer. On the other hand, Pogba got 8 goals in both of the last two seasons in Serie A, with 12 assists last season, though just 3 the season before. His pass success was 83-84%. For what it's worth, "whoscored.com" then gives them respective ratings of 7.8 (Pogba) and 7.3 (Kouyate) for last season. Pogba is also younger.

So I think we might be showing our love for Kouyate in our high estimates of his worth compared to Pogba. Certainly it is his character that I like so much - such a hard-working team player with strength and some grace, plus he's a cheeky chappy off the pitch and often laughing on it. He looked like he was going to add goals to his game last season, but they dried up for a while, though he did hit the crossbar a few times, I seem to recall, near the death of a few games. So let's hope the bright start against Domzale does likewise peter out.
  • I dont disagree with a lot you said. Although I do think that Kouyates goal and assist totals are dictated by how deep he plays. Pogba I'd say plays further forward. I'd also think that scoring and especially assisting for the best team in Italy is probably comfortably easier than doing it for West Ham. Im not knocking Pogba at all. Just as a thought, could you imagine Pgba in CM and Kouyate at CB behind him ;wahoo
  • Yes, good point about different teams and leagues and relative dominance in that league. But how much difference do you think the age makes in their value? Pogba is 23 and Kouyate 26: the difference is actually around 3 years and 3 months. I was thinking Kouyate at around 2/3 of Pogba (so 40 and 60mn, respectively), but went down to 1/2 (i.e. 30mn) on account of age. Maybe that was too much of a discount. But if someone bought him, I guess they're thinking of resale value in 4-5 years' time, when he'll be over 30.
  • I have both in my fantasy league and they put me back just 14m for the pair of them, just saying ;wink
  • Kogbayate... What a player ;wink
  • Mane went to Liverpool for early 30 millions I believe...
    Similar amount for me, not that we would want to sell
  • £30 for me too

Don't think Pogba is worth comparing because let's be honest everyone thinks United have overpaid what they did for Pogba and what they are buying it has him is there brand of Pogba

He's the golden boy of football whether it's deserved or not and that brings great financial game along with on the field gain

I'd say that £30mil is as much as we will get for him, and that puts him in the Kante bracket which imo is fair

He's a great box to box midfielder and consistent but the game winners i.e. the guys who get the goals who warrant the biggest fees such is the nature of the market

He's definately among the best natural centre midfielders in the league and we've got him through his peak years