http://bbc.in/1UE2BOt

We could lose Dimi!

Comments

• edited March 2016
    Whitehorse

Come on, enter the sub-editing spirit!

'West Ham to lose star player on Brexit'

'Say no to Brexit or lose Payet'
  • I was tempted but have been trying to wean myself away from tabloid headlines, but your right Grey, it does have a much better chance of getting some response!
  • Payet will be granted immunity.

Because he's Payet.
  • Is it time to chant "we've got Brady" yet? She'll get a loophole set up.
  • More scare mongering by the totally pro Europe BBC. The home office can set any rules it wants regarding visas etc.
  • Totally agree Thorn, the home office current rules are of course based on the fact that we are part of the EU.

Why would you assume that they would continue with the same rules if we were to leave the EU.
  • Surely the rules would become stricter not more lenient though?
  • More scare mongering by the totally pro Europe BBC. The home office can set any rules it wants regarding visas etc.

^^this^^
  • Surely the rules would become stricter not more lenient though?

Not really, from the article.
    Many experts think the work permit rules will be watered down. For example, non-EU countries like Norway and Switzerland have both made concessions to gain access to the single market.
  • The reason European players can play here is because of free movement of labour (both ways). If we leave they will need work permits. If footballers are given special dispensation then every other profession and trade will be asking for the same.
  • Not sure how reporting what people said is evidence of bias.

I'm pretty sure that overall BBC coverage will be 'neutral' (giving equal coverage to both sides.)

If there were a Brexit, then many players playing in the UK would not qualify for work permits under current rules.

That's a fact as things stand.

Britain would be free to amend its labour laws, or enter into bipartite agreements with countries, but there's no point pretending that, as things stand, there wouldn't be an impact.
  • its a very simple case of applying for a work permit like we do for the likes of Valencia - Lanzini and if they are international players who have played several times for there country this usually is a straight forward thing to do .

can you imagine the effect on the country if people working here from the EU
    all of a sudden had to apply to stay here and work here ... I think what may happen is when you have worked here so long and been a resident here you will probably just have to renew a work permit and eventually can probably apply for british national status if you are adding to the economy and paying taxes .

imo I think the country will vote to exit , right or wrong everyone has an opinion
    but time will tell if it benefits this country or not ..

mean time come on you irons ;ok
  • brookings

Many of the foreign players currently playing in the UK, including Payet and Kante as examples, would fail the current test for a work permit.

You can postulate how the rules might change, fair enough, but as things stand, either the rules go, or the players do.

Think the rest of your post is more for the referendum thread.
  • But the current work permits rules and tests would have to be re-written if we left the EU, that is also a fact.
    So the idea that current rules would in place afterwards is false. Therefore the whole point is null and void. New rules would have to be written and no doubt they will be done so to ensure issues with visas for certain groups of people or workers would be easy as required to get.
    It's not as if all these countries outside the EU are having massive problems signing players.
  • edited March 2016

can you imagine the effect on the country if people working here from the EU
    all of a sudden had to apply to stay here and work here ... I think what may happen is when you have worked here so long and been a resident here you will probably just have to renew a work permit and eventually can probably apply for british national status if you are adding to the economy and paying taxes .

Well, it wouldn't be 'sudden' as if the vote was for 'out' there would be a period of time (years) where all the new rules and regulations would be put in place prior to the official exit. (As far as we know).

Given that one of the stated aims of the OUT campaigners is to cut immigration of EU citizens, I think it not wise to assume the new rules will pretty much replicate the old rules and we'll all carry on as normal. Just my take on it ;ok
  • Mooj

I thought the point of the article was to raise the issue that this would need looking at, presumably so those in favour of Brexit could explain what they would do? (I don't mean on here, I mean those who would influence government.)

Why 'no doubt'?
    no doubt they will be done so to ensure issues with visas for certain groups of people or workers would be easy as required to get.
    The rules for footballers aren't that easy at the moment, and that's with being inside the EU.

What makes you so certain that things would be easier on Brexit?

• edited March 2016
    I specifically didn't mention footballers.

When you get to set the rules, you set them so that you get what you want and avoid what you don't want.
    That's why I have no doubt the rules will be as easy as required for certain groups or workers.
  • I would guess - based on no evidence what so ever - that the almighty £ will be the overriding factor.
  • Mooj

If you're not referring to footballers, I don't see the point, given the OP. ;hmm

I would suggest that the whole point of Brexit is that it is not simply the UK that gets to set the rules.

Personally, on this issue, I would like to see one of the potential rule makers explain how it would be resolved.

I don't think 'I'm sure it will be fine' is good enough.
  • Frankly I couldn't care less either way , it doesn't affect me in my life mrs Grey one way or another whoever is in the hot seat makes those decisions not me as for the vote will we ever know in or out the true result of the count if it went against Cameron's choice ?

Mr Grey ;ok I thought this was the referendum thread ;hmm

Anyway like you say we all have our opinions on these things I try not to get to attached to this type of thing myself what will be will be , my view is I cannot see this affecting premier league football these guys pay some massive taxes into this country's economy its Multi Billion a year industry not to mention knock on affect
    in other business and industry's it could affect .
  • Because footballers are just a group of workers along side many other workers. I don't believe rules would be written that specifically target footballers.

Just that they would come under a set of rules which would be aimed at ensure that they are able to continue to ply their trade.

There isn't current an EU ruling for footballers getting special leave to play because they are from the EU, they are just under the banner of free movement within the EU.

I too would like to see what the potential rule makers plan to do, but personally I care more about the effect on our schools/hospitals/police and fire services if the EU workers have to leave.

• brookings

No, that's next door:

http://www.whu606.com/discussion/9501/time-to-decide-for-the-uk-in-or-out#latest

This thread was specifically looking at the potential impact on foreign footballers currently playing in the UK.
  • Sorry Grey ;doh

• my view is I cannot see this affecting premier league football these guys pay some massive taxes into this country's economy its Multi Billion a year industry not to mention knock on affect
    in other business and industry's it could affect .

Well, in the last couple of years, the FA successfully lobbied the Home Office to tighten up the criteria so that many of the footballers that previously could come to play here (and paid their massive taxes etc) would be prevented.

So I think the idea that footballers will always be welcome as the UK won't want to lose out the taxes is directly contradicted by recent rule changes (that affected non-EU players).

• could this possibly be a step towards a cap like the old days on how many non British players can play in Premier league .. just cannot see that happening myself
    the game would be over imo TV would pull out as these players would move to German or Spanish league the bubble would burst for sure then.
  • Mrs Grey ;ok

so they would Block Messi coming then if he chose to sign for City
    would they ... I don't think so some how do you , yes agree if it was a player with not many international caps who probably wouldn't improve the league much or the team he was signing for but superstar players no can't see that happening only as a knock back to lower league clubs who couldn't afford to put up much of a fight .
  • brookings

No, assuming the rules weren't made more restrictive, as Messi qualifies under current rules.

The point of the article referenced in the OP was to point out that many players who currently are allowed to play in the UK on account of EU passports, would not qualify to lay in the UK under current rules for non EU players.
  • edited March 2016
    But that's exactly the issue, brookings - and the way the rules were changed recently for non EU players. The % of international matches they had to have played in was set in such a way as to ensure only the 'very best' could come. The scope for apeals was also restricted further.

As the original article points out, if those same rules apply to EU players as well, many now in the PL would not be able to play here as they wouldn't meet the 'very best' criteria. We aren't talking about Messi-type players, but good PL players: more than 100 of them would be deemed no longer good enough to meet the standards.

So unless there were different rules for EU players that would be more 'lax' than those for non-EU players, Brexit will cause an impact.

Re your post before - there already is a cap, in effect. It is couched in terms of 'home grown' players and it pretty much limits how many foreign players can play in the PL.

• Take your point , but surely the ones already here would have lived / worked here
    long enough to red tape through any law changes ?

But Agree those current rules are very unfair on players who are very good but not in a man u / city team more like Hull/Norwich and champo teams point taken . ;ok