Wolverhampton Wanderers v West Ham United - False dawn or road to redemption?

edited December 2019 in Match Threads
This is a 19:30pm KO. Not sure when we last had one of those that wasn't a pre-season friendly.

Just getting this up early.

Please feel free to not comment on it until Tuesday, allowing yourself maximum time to bask in the glory of 3 points. :beer:

I expect the side to remain unchanged, however I would seriously consider Masuaku (in place of Fornals) to combat the pace of Traore:

Martin
Fredericks - Balbuena - Ogbonna - Cresswell
Snodgrass - Noble - Rice - Fornals
Anderson
Antonio

Roberto, Diop, Masuaku, Sanchez, Yarmolenko, Ajeti, Haller

I think we all worry that the effort levels from yesterday won't be replicated against Wolves, purely because it isn't a London derby against one of the form sides in the league.

However, there is no excuse for not showing the same levels of defensive commitment & concentration to try & get ourselves a point at least.

Plenty on the bench to bring on should we be chasing the game. Diop comes back into the squad. Reid can't be far away, nor can Wilshere.

Wolves are a decent side, but are not invincible. Did the double over us last season & we all remember the corresponding fixture last season saw us lose 3-0 in wake of 'Arnie gate'.

Thoughts & feelings to follow...

Comments

• Martin in goal
  • edited December 2019
    Roberto should be bangec out the camp
  • Also, as a reminder, this game is exclusively live on amazon prime, who are offering a month free trial (as they always seem to do).

May be worth signing up for, which will also include the Boxing Day game with Palace. Just remember to cancel before the end to avoid being charged the first payment of £7.99.
  • edited December 2019
    Going to this game with renewed hope, we all know where that gets us :biggrin: grin:

Same starting line up for me, I don't think you can use Arthur to man mark Traore as he isn't disciplined enough.

Going to be tough but as long as the same West Ham as at Chelsea show up then we can get a result.

COYI
  • Just shows you what one great result and a halfway decent performance can do as I’m really looking forward to this one.
    Yup we know how it ends ............
  • These are the games where I feel most let down by Pelle.

It’s easy to get the team fired-up and concentrating and working hard against Chelsea away.

But when we go away to good mid-table sides, we have nothing like that work-rate or intensity and get pushed aside so easily. That needs to change.
  • Antonio had a good game against Chelsea and provided much needed energy, thrust and guile. Towards the end, he was limping and I would not be surprised if he is injured and therefore not available. In any case, two games in four days would probably be too much for him as he has just returned from along-term injury.
    That would mean Haller returns as we have no other serious striker.
    Not sure how Noble would cope with two games in four days either. It would be good to see a couple of U23s in the squad/team.
  • Ex said Antonio had a slight strain at the end of the Chelsea game. I doubt we'll see him tomorrow.
  • At the moment we seem to be very compromised if either Fab or Antonio are not playing (either at the back or going forward or both). In the case of Antonio he is pretty fragile so a spell on the sidelines is inevitably always around the corner

How has it come to this for West Ham?
  • We are clearly compromised when playing without Fabianski, who is a very good keeper. Antonio was not always in the starting line up at the beginning of the season even when fit. Don't really understand the comment "how has it come to this for West Ham"
  • Some would have had Antonio sold now he’s important again
  • And doesn't that say a lot about our signings since Pelle & co have come :doh:
  • Yes people were harsh on Antonio
  • I agree Cuz, but that does not answer Pelle's & muppet's purchases IMO
  • I wouldn’t agree there muppets but would agree the form has been poor haller will come good imo but roberto, Sanchez Wiltshire ( injuries) have been bad signings in hindsight but I’m more of an optimistic and would wonder how many would be calling for the managers head if fab was available because I’d wager we’d be in the top six
  • Important question. I'm out, can you pause or record Amazin Prime?
  • I still don’t get why we appointed a D of F to be in charge of transfers when his last gig saw him buy a few players and promptly get relegated.
  • McHammer said:

Important question. I'm out, can you pause or record Amazin Prime?

I don't think so
  • edited December 2019
    Lawro 2-0 loss. Encouraging.

I still don’t get why we appointed a D of F to be in charge of transfers when his last gig saw him buy a few players and promptly get relegated.

That was his third spell as DoF at Malaga, when he joined in October they were bottom of the league and were struggling financially (est. £50m in debt at the start of the season, players sold £30m, players bought £10m). Unsurprisingly most of the players he brought in seem to have been loans or frees.
  • Cuz1 said:

Some would have had Antonio sold now he’s important again

I think his importance grew proportionally as we sold each striker in the summer a she is really the only one who could feasibly play up front with or in the absence of Haller. I think Lanzini could do a job of sorts but we really need another out and out attacker as Antonio is likely to be a six on and six off injured type player in my view now as seems a little fragile.
  • Lanzini could not do any sort of a job as a striker IMO
  • You can turn the commentary off of the Amazon games. Quite liked that.
  • Ham, what, you mean like just turning off the sound using the volume control. :biggrin:
  • After all the years......... :lol:
  • Ex says Antonio is a doubt but Holland has traveled with the squad.
  • edited December 2019
    Of course he's a doubt: Pelle said yesterday “Michail Antonio is coming back from a long injury, a surgery, so we must be very careful...“We need to see tomorrow if it’s a risk for him to play again because the recovery between the two games is just three days, so we’ll decide with the medical staff what we’ll do with him, but we must be careful not to force him too much in these first games.

Read more at https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2019/december/03-december/pellegrini-we-must-go-three-points-road#a2IUW7lM0xEmOwi1.99
  • Ex said it before yesterday :whistle:
  • Hamstew said:

Ex said it before yesterday :whistle:

I did :puzzled:
  • Hamstew said:

Ex said it before yesterday :whistle:

He was just guessing :biggrin:
  • He was :puzzled:
This discussion has been closed.