The relegation battle - get out of my league!

Comments

• WIth Arnie, Antonio, Hernandez and Lanzini all on the pitch together, we’ll cause problems for any team.
  • MrsGrey said:

My tea leaves, when I chucked 'em in the bin, spelled out 'a glorious win, and we won't be looking down again for the rest of the season #IronsIronsIrons'.

Trust the tea leaves.
  • Think people are over-thinking our games left, without taking our form, or that of other teams, into account.

In 16 games under Moyes we have taken 21 points, an average of 1.3 points per game.

That included games against 4 of the top 6, and, for a lot of that time, teams above us.

We're 7th in the last 6 form table with only Swansea and Bournemouth above us (outside top 6)

We're 6th in the last 10 form table, with only top 6 clubs above us.

Taking that into account, it is reasonable to imagine that we will collect 12-15 points from our final 11 games.

• Starting to think, maybe better play top six rather then bottom six, relegation teams battling to stay up,,, as long as we are not part the bottom six ;ok
  • We'll be alright.

Today Huddersfield play Bournemouth who are only a point ahead of us, Newcastle play ManU and Southampton play Liverpool.

Then next gameweek there are a lot of 6 pointers for teams around and below us.
    Bournemouth - Newcastle, Brighton - Swansea, Watford - Everton.

The week after that it's Southampton - Stoke, we play Swansea, Watford West Brom.

They are all going to take points from each other.

I reckon West Brom are down. The other two might still save themselves but no way are that many team going to bypass us.
    I know I predicted a high points relegation but I am going to take that back. I now reckon we will know at least one and possibly two relegated teams by early March (if not mathmatically certain but at least higly probable)
  • edited February 2018
    Here's the run-ins for all the bottom 10 teams:

Capture

Edited after Adam's spot ;ok
  • I think the current bottom three, Stoke, Huddersfield & West Brom, are done for.
  • WBA + Huddersfiekd ;ok

Think there might be a scrap for the 3rd spot. Newcastle? Palace?
  • I think Southampton are playing themselves in gameweek 31. Surely that’s not fair for them? If they win, they also lose.
  • Newcastle don't score many but have only conceded 36, which isn't bad for a struggling team. The also have Rafa who is a good manager.
    Palace need to get through their injury crisis but again they have Hodgson who is a good club manager.
    Stoke don't score many but concede a lot and they have Lambert who I personally am not impressed by.
  • The sooner Huddersfield go and take their clacky clackers with them, the better!
  • They sounded like a Yorkshire Palace to me...
  • Yeah, but they don't take themselves as seriously as Palace. ;biggrin
  • We pull out a good result as we did yesterday and needed Huddersfield to lose and then they go thrash Bournemouth, we really need Man Utd and Liverpool to win as otherwise it contracts up again. I feel we will be safe when I see us find something like yesterday but other teams are just as able as Swansea have shown. After 10 games I was convinced Palace would be down, after 20 that Swansea would be, now I am tempted to say WBA are but two results and they are back out again. Too close to call but my instinct says we will pull clear and be safe with a couple of games to go with a couple of wins and two or three hard fought draws.
  • edited February 2018
    C&B

Disagree. I'm glad Bournemouth lost.

Imo, we will be vying with teams like them, Everton and Burnley for a top 10+ spot.

Not worried about what Huddersfield do, as I don't believe for a second they will catch us. (edit to clarify: by the end of the season.)

Looking up, not down.
  • I hope you are right Grey it's certainly not beyond possible that we finish 10+, I would like to be clear with matches to go so would quite like 2 or 3 to start getting cut off at the bottom rather than keeping the contraction that we have at present.
  • Newcastle one up on Man U...
  • Good thing we won this weekend
  • The way this season is going we won’t ‘pull clear’. We will be in it until May.
  • I think we’ll be comfortably clear by May.
  • I expect us to be clear by the end of March
  • edited February 2018
    Newcastle's goal from a free kick given for Smalling diving.

Smalling.

A CB, diving.

Pathetic.
  • It’s hilarious that Man Utd are losing at Newcastle ;lol
  • But does us no favours.

I'd much rather our relegation rivals dropped points.
  • I will not put my joy in a box because of our league position.

• edited February 2018
    It doesn't matter about other teams winning.

Over the weekend, so far, we've made up points on Bournemouth, Watford, Palace, Brighton and Stoke, with Soton and WBA yet to be determined.

We are doing our job, so it doesn't matter what other teams do.
  • And if we don't do our job?

I know I'd rather have the back-up of the teams below us dropping points to make our position a bit safer, but hey, each to their own ;ok
  • If we don't do our job we go down, deservedly so. It's in our own hands.
  • It is.

But teams below us losing makes that job easier.
  • OCS

If we'd had several Brighton performances in a row, I'd be more concerned, but our over all record under Moyes is better than pretty much any of the other teams in the mix.
This discussion has been closed.